AuthorTopic: st3ady's pixel shenanigans  (Read 8331 times)

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

st3ady's pixel shenanigans

on: November 08, 2006, 10:00:06 pm
I thought I'd make a thread where I could just post all my work as I make it, and if anyone wants to comment or critique, that'd be great  :y:
I downloaded a free version of upaint from the Tools sticky here at work on this super old Win NT machine, and while no one was looking I made me a mario sprite:

his shoulders are kinda messed up I'll try to fix it up later when i get home  :D
EDIT: when I got home I couldn't stop !
and slightly different:
right now I have black outlines, I guess that is n00bish, I'll have to read up on some tutorials for doing proper shading...thanks guys  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:09:48 pm by st3ady »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: st3ady's pixel shenanigans

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:11 pm
haha, wow, looks like what mario would probably look like as a real person. I think it's a good start, once you shade it you can fix most of the problems with the shoulders, pants, etc.. make "his" left shoulder area darker ( our right ).
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:16:16 pm
He's cute. :)

I think it'd make a big difference if you curved the suspenders a bit. They're straight lines right now, and they'd look more natural if they curved back to follow the countours of his body and shoulders. I hope that makes sense.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:14:45 am

just a simple edit to show some shading options. Gave him a little stomach, and a Ron Jeremy package just for fun ;)
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:45:47 pm
hey Dogmeat I really appreciate your shading edit, looks awesome  :y:, it would be great to further develop this sprite into a walk cycle, jump, crouch, throw fireball etc :)
I wanted to know what the proper manner/action is in the following: lets say I wanted to make a portfolio gallery in the near future, is it incorrect to use someone's edit in your own gallery? I see people having critiques through out the forum, does the original author get to mix and match their favorite parts and make it their own? I don't know because its not really theirs... seems like a tough subject.

Anyways, here's what I'm working on for the Chimera thread:
1st:  2nd:  3rd:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:28:48 am by st3ady »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:35:37 pm
As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what you do with my edit, it's your piece, I'm the intruder :)
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:45:02 pm
generally speaking though, st3ady, you should never just take an edit that was provided for you.  Instead you should study the edit and try to replicate the techniques you have learned through it.  If you were to just use someone's edit, you have not learned anything that the edit was made for.

If you *do* decide to use it, and you have permission to (as is the case here), it no longer is your sole work.  It would be considered more of a collaberative project between you two and you should give them credit wherever you post it (whether it be in your portfolio, or what have you)

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 09:43:27 pm
that makes sense indigo, thanks for ur input. I think the best thing would be to learn from it and use that to make better new stuff.

Here is a generic thug for a Double-Dragon type beat em up game:
1:

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:12:13 pm
I work at a mega huge corporation office building and when no one is looking i break out the pixel editor to lay down some lines, so I upload it here so I can work on it when I get home.

I think the megaman on the megaman 2 cover art had a visor like this:

1st:

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:54 pm
Starting off with the Thug and MegaMan characters, I like the start, some cleaner lines and detail, and they could be super.

Offline pixelsforhire

• http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
    • http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 10:25:32 pm
Agreed! I love the style on Megaman and really want to see that as a polished piece.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 11:26:18 pm
I'd keep going with the megaman lines as well as the little sprite you have. Both seem to have little to no huge issues with anatomy.

As far as the mario, his head looks a bit small for his body.

I'd like to see what you can make out of the megaman piece specifically, so keep going!

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:49:19 am
Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated :) Unfortunately there is not enough time in the day! gonna have to call it quits for tonight, can't be late for work...  :( I'll try to finish tomorrow.

2nd:

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 05:58:14 am
That highlight tone on the skin should be used more.  Also the lines are a bit too prevalent...you could represent a lot of those divisions by putting in a simple shadow.  I'd also like some nice bars/glints of light on the visor, but perhaps you haven't gotten that far yet. 

Never seen Megaman done this way before, cool beans.

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:09:41 pm
blargh! 3rd: I couldn't figure out how to add some shiney highlight reflections to the visor, every time i tried it didn't look right...
but it was fun, this is how i would imagine megaman in frank miller's universe  ::)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 12:22:32 am
love it, just a bit unclean atm. your dithering is just adding an unwanted texture and your lightsource is kinda confusing soo..

I had a go at adding highlights to his visor but got carried away and worked on the whole, :-X did my best but some bits are still very iffy..

dont understand why you used another blue for his top colour..
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 01:41:40 am
haha awesome Terley, that looks great, especially likin' the job on the visor.  :y:
The reason I used a different color for the collar part is because even though it is not really made clear, I imagine the light blue from the torso goes up to his neck as seen in the original old school sprite:

I see what you mean about the lightsource, thanks :)

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 09:56:45 pm
woah looks like the halloween emoticons have been replaced dang i liked them...  >:(
sorry for the shirtless dude bonanza but I am trying to come up with a character for a beat em up game / platformer
the proportions should be big huge head, shoulders, arms, medium to tiny torso and legs...
this would be a start on the main hero character:
1st:
how can i tighten this design up? legs seem a bit off...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:58:17 pm by st3ady »

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 04:41:01 am
I don't know if it is against the rules to resurrect your own pixel thread, but I have just found some new time to get back into pixelling!

I made this new guy using the player 1 from Contra 3 as a base, but with different dimensions (shorter). How can I get his fists to read better? Any crits welcome :)