Critique > 2D & 3D

Low Poly 3D Graveyard Environment (WIP)(C+C)

(1/3) > >>

heyguy:
Hello all! I really love the PS1/Nintendo DS graphics and I want to create an small environment replicating that 3D style. Low poly, lots of chunky pixels, dithering, alphas, etc. I originally wanted to create something isometric (like Final Fantasy Tactics) but I sort of lost myself. Now I imagine this being some sort of 3rd person adventure game like Phantasy Star on the Nintendo DS. I'd really like some feedback on my idea and how it's shaping up. Ultimately, I'd like to display this finished piece in a portfolio.

A post on Neogaf sort of inspired this project. Can't find the post but here's an amazing folder about the topic, High res Nintendo DS games!

https://imgur.com/a/ORzki#0

So it's still a pretty early work in progress. I'm missing things like lanterns, scones, and other useful graveyard props. Models still need reworking. Still working on many textures. I read online that the Nintendo DS could push up to 4000 polys. I'm aiming for 4000 while creating this piece. Right now, I feel I have more of a PS2 levels of geometry on the cliffs and ground but I've got polys to spare. I think I might be painting the textures too detailed. Textures map range for 64*64 and down. Some maps for trees are bigger. Too noisy for a DS game? I also think the ground seems a little to sparse.  What does everyone think? Thanks for looking!

Cherno:
Everything looks flat, how about a directional light?
The small cliff in the grass looks considerably lower res thatn the rest.
The crypt texture looks out of place since everything has a more pixel art lok to it while this one looks tool-assisted with the smooth AA on the circles.

eishiya:
Seconding Cherno about the crypt and cliff. The crypt in particular looks bad to me because the texture doesn't seem to correspond to any surface features on it. It's just a grey box. Crypts have all kinds of surface details - cracks, material texture (e.g. marble), breaks in said texture where the different blocks meet, engraved text, vines, bird poop, etc.

A lot of these textures don't really look like anything. With low-res textures, just like with pixel art, you need to focus on the important features and get rid of any noise that gets in the way of clearly showing what you're trying to depict. So, with the tree bark, focus on showing twists and segments, with the path focus on showing dips, bits of grass, and individual rocks.
Don't just scale down a bunch of photo textures - that's how you get a whole lot of noise. When working small, you have to be very selective with what you devote pixels/texels to.

heyguy:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My previous work was lacking focus and was too early. It's still a heavy wip but I think it looks better. I've started detailing the mausoleum. Still unsure how to proceed overall, pixel art or painted soft low res textures. Anyway, I 'd appreciate any feedback you all have for my new iteration. I'd like to bring this into Unreal 3 or 4 which is why I haven't done too much lighting work in Maya. Does anyone know if I can have 3 layered textures on one material in Maya? I'd like a dirt layer in the terrain. Thanks for checking out the post!

heyguy:
Hey folks! I think I posted pics for this project way too early before. I had no solid artwork and then got side tracked with life. I really want to finish this project though! I've been working on it for a month or so and think I have something decent to present. I'd really appreciate any and all critique.

I reworked most of the scene. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Main things are:

-added 2 textures to the ground
-more finished assets/models
-painted textures instead of trying to use photos
-vertex painted and used alpha planes to create the shadows
-added fog and fog alphas for atmosphere (not sure about either)

I'm aiming for Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill levels of "realism" to the pixel art. Right now, I'm struggling with finding a balance between sparse and busy. Originally, I wanted this to be a creepy, abandoned graveyard. Not sure if a bunch of small low poly grass and plants would look good though. The big hedge in the background is supposed to be a wild hedge that was never cut/tended to. The texture isn't done but overall the entire asset might need to be reworked/replaced. Some texture tiling issues exist too.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the all different shades of gray in my scene. The tombstones, mausoleum, cliffs, walls and rocks are all different shades of gray. Eventually I'm probably going to model a new mausoleum as this one seems kind of boring.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'd really appreciate any feedback, like suggestions for props that would complete the project, edits I should make, whatever. Happy pixeling!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version