AuthorTopic: New Artstyle,  (Read 5468 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: New Artstyle,

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 05:14:14 pm
I'm afraid both problems are still there, though the new shadow from the turret is a big improvement. Here's a rough edit just to make it clearer what I meant:

The form of the creature's torso isn't really changing, so the shadows should be the same from frame to frame (assuming a distant light source anyway, if the creature is lit by a lamp dangling right above it, that's a whole different story). In other words, you created a lot of unnecessary work for yourself in redrawing the shadows on the torso in each frame xP

The shadow from the torrent-friend is more foreshortened and horizontally squished when it's cast on the top of the creature, and more vertically stretched when it's more on the side of the creature, so the creature looks more rounded and less flat. The shadow should probably be placed a little differently because it looks like you meant to place the turret on top of the creature and centered, but the shadow makes it look like it's leaning to the side. I didn't remedy this in my edit, I just worked with the shadow where it was. If the turret-buddy isn't moving from center to side and is staying in place and only rotating its head, then the shadow should not move, just slightly change shape.

I got rid of the yellow highlights for ease of editing, but like the shadows, the highlight should not be moving around so much relative to the body, they should be moving with the body.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:15:52 pm by eishiya »

Offline B-Rokal

• I'll Cross-stitch for food
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:23 pm
Omg, this is pure gold O.o thanks a lot! :D

Gotta make the changes, I though the "moving shades" would made it look better, but if it is inaccurate then is ok, less work i guess XD

As for the buddy, I actually wanted him to lean to the side, but I think centered looks better :)

THANK YOOOOOOU :D

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:50 pm
I think having some more motion in the shadows would actually be good, the problem's just that you made the whole shadow move. Instead, consider how the legs attach to the body and how their motion might deform the torso. Shade to show that deformation. For example, maybe some folds might form, or maybe the motion might push up some fat or muscle? Perhaps the mouth opening and closing might affect muscles elsewhere on the head?

The ridge on the back and the shadows make the front of the monster look like the tip of a penis. Is that intentional? If not, then perhaps more ridges forward of the current first ridge might help change the silhouette enough to lose the resemblance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:04:39 pm by eishiya »

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 03:33:44 am
Tank Monster for RnG Game, Take 3
ACTION!

Three Off-topic questions:
*I said before that I didn't necessarily wanted feedback on the character design, but... if I wanted, it is ok to ask it here?
*Is my art good enough to pursue a freelance career now? or I should got better than this before thinking of that?
*I have more of my project, like characters and backgrounds, must I post it in this very topic or create a new topic per piece?

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:18 pm
One small thing that bugged me, the toes on the back leg seem to be pointing outward more than forward like the front legs.

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 05:06:07 am
Hummm...
That was on purpose, actually... does it look bad? :(

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 06:38:35 pm
It's just a little odd, on quadrupeds the toes of the back leg always point in the same direction of the front legs if they are standing or walking normally.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:41 pm
I want to add that the orientation of the hind legs varies, and on animals where the hind legs stick out to the sides like this rather than downward as on most quadrupeds, the feet do point somewhat the sides. But, even so, they still point generally forwards. Tortoises are a good example of this. They can swivel their legs so that the feet do point to the sides (just like humans can!), but usually you'll find the toes pointing forwards. Looking up tortoises for reference might prove useful!