AuthorTopic: [Beginner] Uh, I don't know really...  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Biel7881BR

• View Profile

[Beginner] Uh, I don't know really...

on: October 13, 2017, 02:28:22 am
Hi, I'm new here and new in pixel art too
I see your drawings and I'm impressed, I know I have to improve, but I do not know where to start, in short, I need your help.
In this thing"pixel art", the idea was to make a wizard strolling through a cave with ancient writings and some vines.
I know it's horrible compared to what you can do, but I need to know what to improve, please help me

Original Size:

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: [Beginner] Uh, I don't know really...

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:50:29 am
As many of us discover when we first jump in and try to learn, pixel art uses the same core principles as any other illustration form.
If your understanding of art is weak and undeveloped you will struggle against the sheer mass of what you do not yet understand in order to reach for a better creative capability.

With that said, you should begin by dropping the elements of your composition all the way back to the core element.
The sprite itself is the primary object and should be your first priority.  No point working on a scene until you have improved there first.

A drawing or picture will always appear flat (because it is) unless you learn to trick the eye of a viewer into seeing more there than is present.  You do this by using perspective, shading, and highlights to create the appearance of 3D space within the image.

First start with the sprite and find a spot (a lot of people choose a top corner) as your light source.  Then try to apply some shadows in the recesses and form away from the light.  Put highlights on the surfaces facing the light.  That should give you the beginning steps.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232