AuthorTopic: Beginner Palettes - Workshop  (Read 7607 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Beginner Palettes - Workshop

on: November 07, 2006, 09:10:18 pm
I think it would be nice for some of the new folks ( to pixel art that is ) to have something that they can use to get started with. I personally think choosing a good palette is one of the most difficult things to do, but that's just me. Everyone has a strong suit when it comes to pixel art, but choosing colors seems to be very difficult for most and they end up stealing from other peoples palettes, which is fine, because most of the time people take responsibility for doing so.

So heres what I propose to you palette masters out there:

- Pick or come up with a few simple palettes
- Describe some of the things the palettes can be used for
- Explain how each color should be used within the palette, this color is for blending this color, this color is a highlight color, etc..
- For extra credit provide a sample image demonstrating what was described about the Palette

This is a free for all ladies, but in the end I want a good set of "beginner" palettes that we can put on a page somewhere and keep as a resource for new people.

I know I'm a dick sometimes, and I applogize, really, but this is business..

Who's with me?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: Beginner Palettes - Workshop

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:29:03 pm
Hello!

Maybe I`m just a n00b, but isn`t that topic enough? There`s the Palette Workshop Challenge thread as well, where you have both examples of various palettes and their usage. Even a person who doesn`t know a thing about color schemes will get lots of practical information and advice from them. I`d also bet there were a couple of others, rotted long ago. Make people search.

I think it`s a matter as individual as the style you practise. What`s more, no one is obliged to start a piece from setting an exact palette, as it can be done later on.

If you really care, you`ll find a way to get to know everything you want. That`s my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:39:31 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Player1

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:10:15 pm
I think that's great Idea, Dogmeat. We noobs need that:)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:20:06 pm
I think what he's asking for, rather than some high-level theory as in the other thread, is basically a collection of prefab palettes. I can see how this would be useful to absolute n00bs.

I still remember being baffled at how to make certain shades like orange, gold, and negro skin. I think a collection of skin tones would especially be useful. Other than that, I can only think of really specific examples that might be useful, like "these are colors for denim blue jeans" and "these are colors for faded denim blue jeans."

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:12:12 pm
Right, i'm asking for palettes and their uses that people can just "pull" from a thread. I don't want theory, I don't want a challenge, I just want something to give to the people and have us create it. I figure if we get good synergy going in this thread we'll come out in the end with ( I'm hoping ) around 10 palettes that people can use to get started.

Skurwy:

Keep your 2 cents, you're going to need it if you continue making generalisations about everyone. Has it ever occured to you that you don't know everything?

Not to be rude or anything but please please please, don't post on this thread unless you have something productive to add to it.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Player1

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 07:33:50 pm
I think what he's asking for, rather than some high-level theory as in the other thread, is basically a collection of prefab palettes. I can see how this would be useful to absolute n00bs.
I still remember being baffled at how to make certain shades like orange, gold, and negro skin. I think a collection of skin tones would especially be useful. Other than that, I can only think of really specific examples that might be useful, like "these are colors for denim blue jeans" and "these are colors for faded denim blue jeans."
Well, me noob needs not just palette (otherwise I'd just rip it from some sprite), but palettes for common cases (skin, grass, dirt, etc) _and_ clarification of why that colors whas chosen, and how to tweak and alter it.

2Skurwy
Thanks for the link to topic, but though helpful, it is too abstract.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:49:18 pm
Using standard palettes for different elements will lead to bad practises down the road as optimally every shade should be customized for the particular piece it belongs to by hand.

Offline Nonamezleft

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 08:09:54 pm
This is a good idea, but how about doing it a little different.  The person posts a piece of artwork and then list all the colors and then write why he or she chose those colors and how they "fit" in the piece.

Just my opinion...

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 09:10:16 pm
Good ideas Helm and Nonamezleft..

Basically what I want to accomplish is the 'what' and 'why' of the elements that comprise a palette.

I think the best way to accomplish this is to pixel very simple objects, an apple, a dog, a hammer, pants, etc.. and explain the usage of what color and how that affects the colors around it.

I can't help but look at the elephant catipillar at the top of the screen and think that would be the crown jewel of this workshop, but that would be up to Panda to volunteer his time for such.

If we can get several "different" pieces I would like to design a simple, easy to read and follow guide on Palette Basics.

If I have some time tonight I'll try and do one myself, although I am by no means a palette master, something basic is really all that's necessary here.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 09:46:50 pm
i could post an already done piece, telling my thought process.