AuthorTopic: SNEAK ATTACK INTERVIEW - PANDA  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

SNEAK ATTACK INTERVIEW - PANDA

on: October 24, 2006, 05:18:15 pm
An msn chat turned into a NINJA SNEAKY INTERVIEW. What can I say?

Panda: I wonder if in a few years there are going to be parties like that but with pixelart overall 

Helm: I think pixel art will die in a very hilarious way. Just bigger screens, with huge resolutions will be the end of it. So then all that will be left will be some scene situation yeah. We'll probably be running it too.

Panda: Hah. I hope it stays alive for a bit longer though :X

Helm: Well who can tell with technology updates? When almost everybody is 4,000 pixels on 31 inches, forget it. Unless we make custom scaler software to render pixel art crisp and clear on 3x zoom by default or something, but it'll be much less prevailent when people just don't even see the pixels anymore. A lot of artists come from desktop icons and such, to the art. That'll end.

Panda: I started a bit like that (ish) too.

Helm: Oh yeah? Hey, give me the unabridged version. I've known you were around forever, and I can spot your art a mile away usually, but I don't know a lot about you.

Panda: Well, I started pixelling after msn 6 allowed some custom smileys, then in some forums I used to go, there was this guy who did smileys too and he pointed me to pixelation (that was around dec.2003) and from then I started pixelling

Helm: So not from a game-art background at all. Rejuvinating. What were and now are your aspirations?

Panda: Pixel art-wise? Or like dream job?

Helm: The former.

Panda: Well, back then, I wanted to be better, I enjoyed it too so. But right now I'm more into experimenting, all after I got this cold and got inspired. I guess I want to bring pixel into new areas, though it sounds like something a hippie would say :X But I have to work too from time to time. So I guess, blending both goals .

Helm: What would these new areas be?

Panda: Well, new areas at least for me, but carry pixel art into design, or something like that.

Helm: Don't you feel perhaps that that is approaching pixel art as a stylistic effect, just design? Do you see a difference between stylistics and aesthetics?

Panda: Yeah, but I dont know, I dont like those pixel art wannabe designs nowadays pop up, those that go by "PIXEL STYLE"

Helm: Yeah. What's the difference?  (between what they're doing and what you're proposing)

Panda: Well, I guess what I had in mind is doing design with pixel art, but not pushing to look pixelated, just done like pixelart

Helm: What then are the things that make pixel art 'like pixel art'? Color conservation, what?

Panda: I guess the way you do it (as in: the way everybody pixels), it's hard to explain but I enjoy pixelling the most, so I guess I just try to do stuff like that.

Helm: I think I understand, when you get used to the power and the control on the pixel level... everything else feels a bit... sloppy

Panda: Yeah, kind of like that

Helm: How do you feel for the last few years recent trent of 'unfinished pixel art'. Looks like oekaki? Small pieces, left underworked on purpose (?) 

Panda: Well, while I wont kill anyone for doing it, I dont really like it, I'd rather see finished pieces, polished even. Of course some are good, but not my thing.

Helm: I've noticed you -by my standards- overpolish. Especially your aa. It's distinctively YOUR aa, but I always remember thinking 'god, overdone. Too smooth. Keep the edges!'. Now, for some pieces, like that wonderful master remaster piece you did, this works, obviously. But do you ever try harsher edges just to see how it works for you?

Panda: Well, not that often I must say, though when working at times, when having deadlines I dont polish that much :X There is not enough time for that, but I try to keep them as finished as I can

Helm: Oh, so you do a lot of contract work?

Panda: Well, from time to time, like once or twice a month.

Helm: Care to share experiences that are mentionable? I've never done any pixel art work that didn't start and finish in a single session, for money. So I don't know much about that thing. Ptoing is pro and he seems to enjoy the 8hr grind, as long as he doesn't resize/fix fonts, that is :P

Panda: Yeah resizing is boring ;X I like to do it in single sessions too. So when having to work I mostly end up working like 12 hours in a row.

Helm: Usually cellphone stuff? or gba?

Panda: Both, and logos and the like.

Helm: Uh huh. Aren't cellphone limitations a drag?

Panda: There arent that many limitations in cellphones nowadays, just size.

Helm: Frame limit? (for animations)

Panda: Well that I guess.

Helm: Changing subjects: do you have a strong traditional design or drawing background?

Panda: I've been drawing since I was a kid, but other than that no. Though I studied a bit of anatomy and the like, but not really I guess.

Helm: Do you get pangs of guilt when you see that you could be better at these things?

Panda: At times, but normally I'm comfortable. But yeah I guess I should move from the omgcomfortzone.

Helm: (btw, if this seems to be shaping up like an impromptu interview, it is because it'll probably be such!)

Panda: Well brb celebrating my birthday :X it is today :X

Helm: :0 Oh my! Happy birthday dude!

Helm: The comfort-zone bug is a particularily vicious one. You could be stuck doing the same thing for years, if you're getting good returns psychologically from it.

(long msn pause... I strike several awesome poses while I wait)

Panda: Back, and thanks heh. It's going to be an interview? haha

Helm: If you don't disagree, I'll format and post it on pix. SNEAK ATTACK INTERVIEW. I won't do any more, just found it interesting in this case.

Panda: Uhm alright I guess, :$ but haha, sneak attack interview XD

Helm: Yeah, it's silly.

Panda: Oh and as for traditional stuff, I sketch like this :X

Helm: Want me to link?

Panda: Nah (I DISOBEYED, HAHA!)

Helm: Pretty smooth shading control. Nice. It shows you've carried skill from pixel art to real art. But sometimes I get annoyed! A lot of the stuff you seem to do could be vectors.

Panda: Yeah, but I dont know, I enjoy the precision and the way of doing it :X (as in pixel art)

Helm: I agree, but sometimes I feel 'god, just make this a bit less worked! for its own good! Let it point at its own pixels a little bit more!'. I think maybe you enjoy pixel art more because of the precision than because pixels are inherently enjoyable for you.

Panda: Sven (Ptoing) says that too, about me AAing too much, and well, yeah and no, I enjoy the precision, but not more than pixelling itself.

Helm: I see.

Panda: but yeah I'll try to show the pixels more :X

Helm: Awesome. There's not many people that control aa as well as you do. But then there's the comfort zone bug. Time to break out of your own.

then the conversation trailed off on critiquing a piece he's making

Naturallly, sneaky interviews cannot happen again now that I've made this public. But I'd like two things: for there to be an open-ended discussion over points Panda makes if there's an interest, and perhaps other interviews by members, for members. I'd love to do more, but sadly the impromptu aspect of this is now gone.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:59:09 pm by Panda »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: SNEAK ATTACK INTERVIEW - PANDA

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:18:17 pm
It's your birthday panda? Did you ever tell me? I feel bad heh. Happy birthday then :D

It's a good read, nice idea too. I can't think of much to discuss yet. Maybe later, after reading it again.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:35:49 pm
Happy birthday Panda. May death come quickly to your enemies!

Anyways, I tend to overdo stuff too. I can never consider it done until it all looks smooth. I need to kick the habit. :-\ Maybe.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 07:40:33 pm by mccow28 »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:39:59 am
While I have nothing to add, I must say I found the suddenly-interview turning thing hilarious. At first you started asking so many questions I thought you were writing a profile or something  :lol:
Thanks for the birthday greetings btw.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:37 pm
happy birthday!
i hope you already got gifts!

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:04:08 pm
Figured I'd say something about pixel art - honestly, I don't think it will ever die... but soon it may be dormant for a while. If America weren't like the way it is with, well, about everything (Operating Systems - Windows or Macintosh, Politics - Republican or Democrat, Burger Joints - McDonalds or Burger King, everything is so left or right). It seems everyone wants these smooth gradients interfaces and such, like the windows xp and vista start bars, or pretty much everything on macintosh, not that it doesn't look completely awesome, but I honestly would prefer pixel perfect interfaces, for more reasons than just aestetics.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:18:10 pm
I've said it before on another forum, but I'd like to see pixel art in art museums and published in high-quality artbooks, kind of like the Exposé series for digital art. Not the eboy-kind though.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 06:03:27 pm
That was interesting. I'd love to see more of these, sneak or not.

Offline Bacon and Eggs

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:29:43 pm
Heh... Sneak attack indeed.   Has it been 3 years?  Cripes... I suppose so.  I miss doing pixel arts myself, no time.  No time indeed. *cough*Family obligations*cough*  Gotta hunt that Colin Sick turkey down again and get his sprites into my java code that I've been tinkering with for... apparently a little under three years.  River City Rampage is taking a lot longer then I thought it would... heh

Sweet to see that the baton pass worked out.  :P

Neet... very neet indeed.

I have nothing more to say... nor did I say much to begin with.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 07:25:53 am
Hey man, long time no see  :o
How are you doing?
(Anyone wondering who was the person who introduced me to pixelation back then, it was him)