AuthorTopic: Zach Hunter  (Read 2138 times)

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

Zach Hunter

on: October 06, 2017, 03:26:01 pm
A new sprite model I made.I want to know where can I improve, where I can fix, and maybe some color suggestions too to make it better looking.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: Zach Hunter

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 04:15:02 pm
There are some jagged lines. Keep in mind that simpler shapes usually work best.
The hands are a bit small. I don't know what the thing in his neck is, but it has a weird outline.
Does it have something to do with the back thing behind the arm? I thought it was a shadow. It follows the arm's shape perfectly and makes it hard to read.
Also, you don't need to separate everything with lines. The colors already do that job.

I think you should have picked the colors from scratch again instead of using the same ones as before.
The blue colors don't have enough contrast. It looks just like you just added some black to the blue for the shadows.

What helped me the most was downloading some sprites I liked, making a palette out of each one's colors and comparing each color (how much the brightness and hue changed) to the one next to it.

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:44:21 pm
There are some jagged lines. Keep in mind that simpler shapes usually work best.
The hands are a bit small. I don't know what the thing in his neck is, but it has a weird outline.
Does it have something to do with the back thing behind the arm? I thought it was a shadow. It follows the arm's shape perfectly and makes it hard to read.
Also, you don't need to separate everything with lines. The colors already do that job.

I think you should have picked the colors from scratch again instead of using the same ones as before.
The blue colors don't have enough contrast. It looks just like you just added some black to the blue for the shadows.

What helped me the most was downloading some sprites I liked, making a palette out of each one's colors and comparing each color (how much the brightness and hue changed) to the one next to it.
I made a new version. Sorry if I didn't entirely changed the colors. Anyway, the thing around his neck was a scarf, so I changed the shape a bit. I changed the arm position as well.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:20:10 am
Yeah now it reads well ;)
It looks a lot cleaner and better now.

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:53:24 am
Thank you! I want to create a walk cycle for him. I would like some advice on how to make his walk cycle look good. This is my first time making an animation for an original sprite, I've only done it once and it was just an idle/floating animation; I would appreciate if I can find some references on how to make the cycle.