AuthorTopic: Better transparency grid colors?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Better transparency grid colors?

on: September 20, 2017, 05:27:02 pm
Sometimes I like it better to use transparency grids than a solid color for background when making sprites, but it tires my eyes if I look at it for too long.

These are the grid colors on Photoshop and Aseprite.

Is there any consensus on what are the best colors for background, without mixing up the foreground? I think I remember an image from Cyangmou pointing out better experiences with low contrast colors on these grids (unlike Photoshop standards).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:14:21 pm by Lucas Kich »

Offline Absolute8

• makbadgam
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/21175.htm
    • barryburce
    • View Profile

Re: Better transparency grid colors?

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 05:31:44 pm
If something hurts my eyes, I tend to go with a plain black background. Or maybe a soft yellow background similar to old drawing paper. I mean, if you aren't using the grid, then why even have it visible?

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:54:55 pm
I think the main purpose is having a comparative net to make it easier to measure things with selection. I can't say exactly where right now, but I recall finding it helpful.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:09:36 pm
You can customize the grid colours in PS (Edit -> Preferences -> Transparency & Gamut). Perhaps you can do the same in Aseprite?

The best background/transparency colours for any given piece depend on the piece. There's no universal set of colours. I agree that something lower-contrast than the defaults is probably a good idea, at least if you spend a lot of time with the grid visible. The default higher contrast is nice for quick checks.

I personally only use the transparency grid only for short periods of time, usually checking to see that I've not messed up my layers/transparency or whatever. Otherwise, I prefer to work on a solid midtone background colour that matches the likely/intended background. With game sprites, I also often work on top of mockups, toggling to a solid colour or the transparency grid only to double-check things.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:12:46 pm by eishiya »

Offline Kich

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:49:05 pm
Aseprite is customizable too. (:

You have a point, eishiya. I agree.

I guess it doesn't spoil too much on the checking if I move to 2 or 3 (below), and it also looks much more appealing to my eyes.

1. [#ffffff and #cccccc] default
2. [#c0c0c0 and #cccccc]
3. [#eaeaea and #dadada]

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:55:52 pm by Lucas Kich »