AuthorTopic: Samus Pixel art[WIP(?)]  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Re: Samus Pixel art[WIP(?)]

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 03:07:37 pm
It just feels a bit unbalanced, with the legs leaning one way, but the torso not leaning/shifting the other way to compensate. In addition, the arm on her hip doesn't seem to be resting on the hip, is she just holding her fist next to her hip?
Thank you for replying;No,her arm should rest on the hip,how do I make it feel like it does?
I'll try to edit the torso,meanwhile here's a version with better palette

I have to admit I used a color ramp generator and then changed saturation to make contrast,because I couldn't get a decent orange palette.Is this bad?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 03:19:07 pm
I think if your goal is to make the arm rest on the hip, it should be higher up. That low, the surface is basically vertical so the arm wouldn't be comfortable there. It's also unclear whether she's got her hand in a fist with fingers against the hip, in which case the entire arm should probably be positioned differently, or if her palm is on the hip and you've just neglected to draw her fingers, in which case the arm position is fine. Try making this pose yourself, that should help you figure out how it works.

As for the palette, define "bad"? It doesn't really matter where you get your colours for the end result, what matters is that you use them effectively. To that end, understanding why your colours work or don't work is important, and that understanding can develop in many different ways. Some people learn by experimenting, some learn by analysing others' work, some need to have things explained to them, some have other methods still, and most people like a mix of methods. The key thing for learning is that you think critically about your colours, don't just accept something because it looks nice.

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:43 pm
Fixed the hand on the hip,and tried to make fingers this time.

Next goal:fix the torso
The orange palette keeps bugging me:I'd like to raise contrast to make it look less like cardboard,but too much doesn't make the colors mix togheter
Im really struggling with it:I tried to apply the same ratios I used with the red palette,but the colors still don't work good togheter,why?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 09:12:08 pm
Not sure how helpful this is, but here are my thoughts. Keep in mind that I don't know what your goal with this piece is, and I was too lazy to look up what Samus's design normally looks like.

There are many ways to achieve higher contrast. In this case, I increased the contrast in the oranges and yellows through greater hue-shifting (made the shadows purpler/bluer, the highlights yellower/oranger), and through making the darkest colours less saturated (since the midtones are more saturated - low vs high saturation is also a form of contrast). Your original dark purple was very similar in saturation and value to the colour next to it, so it looked a bit strange, almost like she was illuminated by a weak purple light source.

Making the yellows warmer creates a better contrast between them and the purple shadows on the orange/coppery parts, since (warm) yellow and purple are complementary colours. It might not be accurate to the design, but I think it makes for a more harmonious palette. I would've probably done more with the yellows on her torso but I didn't feel right messing with your colours too much since I didn't know whether you were going for yellow or green.

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 10:26:38 am
Fixed chest and torso,hope its better now

Can I say its finished?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:12:20 pm by Afelium »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:38 pm
i think if the weight is on the right leg then the hip should be a bit higher than the left leg?
the left leg should look more like its kinda hanging lightly?

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:54 pm
I do not think the weight is on the right leg to be honest.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 01:40:17 pm
I do not think the weight is on the right leg to be honest.
i meant our right, her left.