AuthorTopic: [WIP] Roman  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Roman

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:20:13 am
I would start by taking out each different pair of frames to see how effective a 6 frame animation each combination makes.  You can use what knowledge you have of key frames to know to leave those.  For example, your 1-5 pair is the most important frame of this walkcycle.  Don't remove, unless it is just for curioisity.  Basically key frames are the frames that contain the full extremes of the movement of a walkcycle, and therefore contain the most information of the movement. 

My explanation of keyframes is not complete and possibly not entirely accurate, if someone who is more knowledgable could step in and explain it better.

From there I would pick one combination and edit.  Though, you may even find it easier to simply make a 6 framer from scratch.  In truth 8 frame animations are not extravagant, but if you really want to take it down that's how I'd start.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 12:39:24 am
More than satisfied with the answer, but here's a follow up question. Would I really need to take out any frames, or is 8 "considered" ok? :P

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 01:54:04 am
I made a game once which was done in assembler. All the sprites had to fit on one 320 by 240 picture. It was a restriction
that had to do with memory. So one sprite was a dragon and its flapping cycle was only 3 frames. Nowdays there isn't the same restrictions. The game I'm making in game maker had a 4 frame walk cycle, but people complained that it looked bad, so its now 8. So to answer your question I think theres no reason to have only 4 frames. It looks great with 8, keep it.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi