AuthorTopic: [WIP] Roman  (Read 6844 times)

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

[WIP] Roman

on: November 07, 2006, 01:16:40 pm
Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been tinkering on and off with this piece for a while:

With help and reference from tutorials at spriteart.com

But it's so huge, so I thought I'd do something smaller, and simpler, so with some loose inspiration of Kenneth Fejer (From his earliest kid icarus mockups, although not stylewise really, anyhow) I came up with this:

I find it cute, I sort of tried to replicate the previous pose, but I've run into a few problems:
- Shading on right arm doesn't make sense
- Hair looks like a helmet
- Low contrast
- Block hands

I don't think I want to make it too complicated, because I intend to animate it sometime, if I ever finish it, but I was hoping some of you guys had any good suggestions :)
Oh, perhaps I should add also that he's supposed to hold a shield with his left arm, and a weapon in the right :P

Cheers

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Roman

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:26:16 pm
had a go at an edit, but i dont know if i improved anything

im not sure what kind of game you want him to be used in, so its difficult to really know what to do (looks like it would be good for some sort of advance wars gameplay meets rome: total war thing)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:38:51 pm
Firstly, the second sprite doesn't like this background color.  The outline on the first brings it out, but some of the colors in your palette are so close in value to the bg of your post that the second sprite is very indistinct.  The first doesn't suffer from this because it has an outline.

First sprite:
-Forms look good; I can tell what's what.  As you've mentioned, the hands are blocks.  I can't really help you there, as I'm not that good at hands either.  The tunic might want some more shading to define its cylindrical nature; it's rather flat at the moment.  You might want to replace the grey internal outlines you have at the moment with the skin shade tone.  As it is, it's just an outline, but if it was skintone it would be a shadow due to the edge of the cloth.  The dark lines on the arms seem random and un-necessary; I'm not sure what they're supposed to be.  You probably want a shadow from the head on the neck, since everything else points to an overhead lightsource.

Second Sprite:
The arms are way too long.  The way its shaded right now, his right arm would reach below the floor and his left arm would reach his ankle.  Again you've got block hands, which someone else can help with.  His right foot looks too wide, and his left foot looks to short.  He looks much more muscular in this one than in the first sprite, largely due to the very defined pectoral muscles.

Overall, this is quite a good start.  You've got some things to tweak, but the sprites are started well.  Welcome to the world of posting on Pixelation!

Adarias posted while I was typing and provided an edit.  Pay attention to it!  I think, however, that the use of skintone for highlihgts on the tunic makes it looks like it has holes in it.  Other than that, it's a very nice edit.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:24:45 pm
had a go at an edit, but i dont know if i improved anything

im not sure what kind of game you want him to be used in, so its difficult to really know what to do (looks like it would be good for some sort of advance wars gameplay meets rome: total war thing)

Well, I dig what you did, and I really like the palette, so thanks for that :D Gave me some ideas :)
His hair really looks like an afro though

Firstly, the second sprite doesn't like this background color.  The outline on the first brings it out, but some of the colors in your palette are so close in value to the bg of your post that the second sprite is very indistinct.  The first doesn't suffer from this because it has an outline.

First sprite:
-words left out-

Yes, I noticed that after I posted, I intended for it to be used on dark backgrounds, but either way, Adarias edit is better.
I only posted the first sprite because it's what I based the second one on, it's something I never completed, I'm sorry if I mislead you :P I posted mostly for help with the second one. That should explain the outlines and left out shading ^^

Second Sprite:
The arms are way too long.  The way its shaded right now, his right arm would reach below the floor and his left arm would reach his ankle.  Again you've got block hands, which someone else can help with.  His right foot looks too wide, and his left foot looks to short.  He looks much more muscular in this one than in the first sprite, largely due to the very defined pectoral muscles.

Overall, this is quite a good start.  You've got some things to tweak, but the sprites are started well.  Welcome to the world of posting on Pixelation!

Adarias posted while I was typing and provided an edit.  Pay attention to it!  I think, however, that the use of skintone for highlihgts on the tunic makes it looks like it has holes in it.  Other than that, it's a very nice edit.

Yeah, I should've given a more detailed description of what I was aiming for, I suppose it's more of a deformed look than anatomically correct, my bad. His right (our left) is supposed to be directed towards the screen, which would explain it looking short.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:44:36 am
The arms, to me, look fine with their current length.
On the second, his right arm looks off, because if his fist is supposed to be facing towards us, then I think his arm would be closer to his body (I can't think of how to explain and I tried to edit which didn't work), and his elbow should be pointing almost straight back.
Erm, if that makes any sense, that's what I think. If not, I'll try to edit it again.
I.....am......me............

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 10:02:37 pm
Thanks for all the inputs, I took this now and tried making my very first walk animation:

It's a bit jerky with the arms, and I've noticed that the hands look a bit odd sometimes. I'd love to get more comments before I start trying to fix everything that's wrong with it :)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist:

:lol:

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:04:07 pm
awesome walk cycle! great job i will have to try dissecting it later  :y: ho many frames is it?

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:16:20 pm
Thanks :D I based it on this image: http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/wlk01.gif so it's 8 frames. I was unsure if I could do it with lesser frame amount, and what frame I should skip/merge.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:16:41 pm
That is a very competent first walk animation.  Good work.  I'm not going to spend a lot of time critiquing it, because you already see it's major problems.  I think it's important that you fix everything you see wrong with something to the best of your ability before you post it, because in the process of fixing something you will probably notice other problems as well.  I mean, if you're unsure about changing something or don't know exactly what's wrong with something but recognize there is a problem, those is a valid reasons to post, but you probably won't get many helpful criticisms if you already know how to fix something as no one wants to waste their time pointing out something that you already see.  But for now I'll just mention that his back shifts too many pixels to the left in frames 2-3.  Also the light source on the skirt is very jumpy.

I really like that large roman guy, it has a very good sense of form and volume around the limbs.  I'd like to see you take that further.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff  :)

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 10:41:57 pm
Much valid points, I see what you mean.

I don't think I would've noticed the back shift thing though, so thanks for that.

I think that the biggest thing I'm curious about is if it's possible to make it use less frames, and if so how :o

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming :) I feel very welcome here at pixelation
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:47:56 pm by Colonel Mustard »