AuthorTopic: Slug  (Read 4214 times)

Offline OBCT

• View Profile
    • Indreams Studios: Bounty

Slug

on: September 13, 2005, 02:50:09 am
I was doing a lot of pixeling today, so I got courageous and decided to do a monster sprite of sorts.  I'm not sure what's going on with the eyeball, but work with me here. :P

Later, I saturated the colors some more to produce a more 'slimy' feel for it:

C&C?

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Re: Slug

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 02:52:30 am
So here's the issue I see with this...

It's not really on the ground. Only a small section of it is. It looks hugely off balance, like the way it's "standing" wouldn't even be possible.

I really don't have much time to write something longer, but I'm sure someone after me will come up with something more in depth. If I have more time, i'll reply with something longer.

Just keep "sluggin'" away XD

Bad pun.

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 07:03:10 am
Awesome improvement with the increased saturation. Besides the imbalance which evan mentioned, I think this is a finished piece.

But there are some problems, or potential pitfalls, that are preventing this from reaching the next level. I'm not hammering down on ya. I'm just in a talkative mood tonight.  ;)
- Having all the hues green makes it hard to define things precisly, even with a super dark green. Substituting a red hue for the darkest spots, instead of a green, is going to help you define the slug. Since the composition is all green, the red will carry more strength and allow you to define sharp changes in depth or areas where very little light would be. Also, try varying your hues in general as the shades get darker. There's a lot of fun things you can do with it.
-Your lightsource is facing in the same direction that we are viewing the slug. This can lead to a death trap because it brings out a sense that the artist must pillowshade. It's not too problematic with small, uncomplicated objects, like the slug. But when the artist starts doing complicated objects with the same lightsource position it gets ugly. Almost all the time, vary the direction of your lightsource from the angle in which you're presenting an object. This forces the artist to shade dynamically, rather than systematically.
-Having a unique or suprising way in which to show your object before starting to pixel I think is most important. Your alien slug serves it's purpose in all respects. But, the slug is generic. The symbol of what a slug and an alien are have been burned into peoples minds from childhood. When someone says house we draw a squre with a triangle on top. Suprisingly, an alien slug is no different.I was expecting to see a slimy, green, one-eyed monster type thing. That's exactly what I drew in my 3rd grade notebooks. :P The challenge is to break the mold of what everyone expects.

I pixelled a quick edit for you doing some of the things I mentioned above.

Mmmm bubblegum gooze...

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 07:09:18 am
 Good work. There are some few positive and negative things I've noticed. It's a good thing it's desaturated. :D I've noticed the pillow shading there, heh. I would suggest you avoid that in the future. Making like the light source on top of his body. Leaving the middle bright makes it appear to be dull. Now you don't have to not pillow shade everything. Some parts can be pillow shaded and soem parts shouldn't. Another thing is good is the anatomy. Very good anatomy there :D. That will wrap up my critque for this.