AuthorTopic: SciFi Environment Tiles  (Read 3142 times)

Offline facecrime

• View Profile

SciFi Environment Tiles

on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:22 pm
Hi,

Sound appreciate some input on these mockups.

Having trouble to find the right brightness, these look just right on my laptop Bug real dark on other devices.

Offline facecrime

• View Profile

Re: SciFi Environment Tiles

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:32 am

Tried to selectively ramp up the values oder the second Layout. Need to rethink my approach, i guess

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:27:44 am
Looks a lot better, but perhaps you could think about making some floor decals with some other colors that blend into the BG -- right now, everything is pretty gray and bland (but it could be interesting if you found a way to break up that floor with a little more hues -- perhaps some painted lines or arrows running through it?)

Just a note:

This is not really pixel art, or rather only a small portion of it seems to be, so you're probably not getting any replies because this should probably be in the other 2D section. However, that section seems dead lately so I figured I'd help you out if I could since I'm here.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline facecrime

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:57 am
Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of that distinction.

Agree on the colours,  will be looking into that, thanks.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:38 am
Regarding colors, realistic ways to add more include:
  • carpets
  • colorful crates and furniture
  • floors and walls in different nice hues. Only the few unpainted metal objects should remain metallic grey: the large pipes in the second image, common types of catwalk (not in the examples), small details like door rails.
  • unsubtle floor motifs marking the middle of corridors and their ends (e.g. black rectangles with bright floor inside and dark floor outside), replacing the current complex and vague ones
  • painted lines to mark routes (as commonly seen in hospitals), e.g. follow the red dotted line to the bridge. Probably better implemented as overlays of straight, bent and terminal line sections to avoid a combinatorial explosion of tile edge types.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:08 am
There's no carpet in the future.

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:11 am
There's no carpet in the future.
That's right, because if I remember correctly, everything is chrome in the future.
Jokes aside, maybe some chrome-y shinier metal pipes along with the regular dusty ones here and there could be a welcome change, maybe tiny wall pipes?

Offline facecrime

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:13:13 pm
@questseeker
good point, I was never really satisfied with simply drenching my tiles in color, perhaps its best to think about some inherently more colorful props.

@Decroded
that would be a shame, thinking of the possibilities of future roomba technology :P

@Hunited
Oh, I could easily do more pipes, feels like most of my tilesets atm are made up of pipes ;) (not even using the full set on the above image actually)
I'll focus on getting a basic collection of tilesets together for now, next was actually going to be an outdoor set.