AuthorTopic: I need someone to help me learn the art of pixelation  (Read 3043 times)

Offline AnnieChan

• View Profile

I need someone to help me learn the art of pixelation

on: September 23, 2017, 09:50:10 pm
I'm new to this site and I came here in the hopes of finding someone who can help me. I have asked many people and they all link me to guides or tutorials that in no way or form help me. I am a beginner and I just need someone to help me get through the basics. If you are willing or have any suggestions please say so.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: I need someone to help me learn the art of pixelation

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:22 pm
Why not just post your attempts, however bad, for critique on the forum and let all of us be your guides? At the very least, you'll get more viewpoints that way.

Seeing your work and your response to critique might also help would-be teachers decide whether they'd be able to help you. It's a big commitment to volunteer as someone's teacher, especially when the would-be teacher can't even tell whether their teaching style matches your learning style.

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:40 pm
Sorry for the incoming uh, advice? Just sort of wanted to get across my experience, what with having been in the same situation before.

I think it can be a bit intimidating at first which is probably why the OP has asked the question, especially if this is the poster's first post, but what Eishiya says is true, especially since Eishiya has helped me with my own art in the past, but only because i was willing to put it out in the first place.

As long as you take criticism as it was intended; to help you improve and to point out flaws or problems you might not be able to see at first, you'll be fine.

And for the record; i don't think ANY attempt at art is or can be "bad" as long as you're attempting to improve, be it in a doodle or a more polished piece. EVERY artist starts small and with rough pieces, pieces that can seem embarassing as they gain more knowledge and experience, but it's a necessary evil!

This is my first attempt at making an NPC/Character model:

This is an example of my most recent:

Not claiming the latter is good, but it's an example of progression that i only gained through practice and critique.

It can take people years before they come across their own style and attain a level they are happy with, but that takes work, putting in all of those hours and that requires a second opinion to keep you on the right track. My biggest fear and to a degree, my philosophy, is that i never want to become one of those artists who thinks so highly of their own skills that they ignore criticism. I was once told "If a piece of art you made seems perfect to you then you've made a mistake".

Offline Robbie Harrison

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:09 pm

Not claiming the latter is good, but it's an example of progression that i only gained through practice and critique.

out of curiosity, how much time has passed between the two drawing ? It's pretty good BTW ! :D

Offline AshCrimson

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:27:11 pm

out of curiosity, how much time has passed between the two drawing ? It's pretty good BTW ! :D

Roughly 3 years of on and off work, it took a lot of reading up on anatomy, drawing, hours and hours of re-doing animations and sprites i made in the past to get where i am now.