AuthorTopic: Hat  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Apoprtv

• Apoprtv
    • View Profile

Hat

on: September 23, 2017, 02:57:14 pm
Hey gang. I recently picked up pixel art and I tried to make a hat. I want to know your opinion on it. I'm trying to improve, so your opinion is very important to me. Feel free to point my mistakes out and give ideas on making this picture better. Thank you for your time.           

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Hat

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:18 pm
The shape and outline looks really good. I cant make any other critiques though since you have no indication of form or material.

You might want to consider looking at 3D art or life photos to see how the shadows and light fall on whatever sort of material you're trying to approximate here.

In the case of a typical felt hat (as I'll assume you were going for), you'd want to add some shadowing to indicate the planes where the light does NOT fall (i.e. the shadows and darker areas) and this trick works in general, no matter what material you seek to replicate since the only real changes are usually how the highlight falls and the size and intensity of its specularity.

The number of colors for shadowing usually does NOT depend on quality but instead depends on how far into the distance and what material is being used for the shape/form. In the case of a felt hat, the 2 colors you have there are sufficient for most of the form, but you could add a 3rd color to indicate the shadow area I mentioned above (and possibly a 4th to blend with the main grey color of the hat.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/