AuthorTopic: Critique for Mushroom Monster  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Critique for Mushroom Monster

on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:07 am
I made this large boss/miniboss-type monster with 'Terraria' style restrictions, with the palette based largely of the mushroom sprite within 'Terraria'.

Thoughts?

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Re: Critique for Mushroom Monster

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:54 pm
I really like the concept and how you made the cap,but something is wrong with the body:The outline makes a lot of contrat so it should be present only on the outer borders of the figure and shouldn't be inside the shape.Also the legs look strange,probably because of that straight 4 pixel brown line between them.Also add the other arm

Offline Mrwhitepantz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:27:31 pm
The biggest thing jumping out to me is the eyes. They look like stickers just stuck to the edge of its head.  The edges around them should be darkened/shaped differently to show where they fit into the cap. The rest of the cap looks fantastic though.

Offline Hunited

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:47:29 pm
Thanks, I guess IŽll take another look at the legs and eyes, but the arm I just couldnŽt seem to fit in without making it look very weird, so I chose to leave it behind the figure. (Maybe you could try?)
As for the outlines, I did that to be in line with Terraria, so here's an example sprite from the game.

So that's more of a style restriction, wouldn't normally do it like that either.
Here's the edited version:

(to be viewed at 200%)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:03:08 pm by Hunited »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:12:28 pm
haha this is cool. the only glaring flaw to me is that his shoulder is too far forward, its torso would have to be twisted for the placement of the joint to make sense.

Offline Hunited

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:17:23 pm
I think it works if you consider that his cross-section is a circle rather than an ellipse, to explain the shoulder placement... and that would also allow me to figure out where his other arm should go...
-edit-

also took another look at the eyes, this seemed to make more sense, and his attack is now crying (?) spores at you or something if you want to know what I based the decision off of.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:30:08 pm by Hunited »

Offline Mrwhitepantz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:11 pm
Much better on the eyes!  :y:

Offline Hunited

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 03:14:12 pm
Probably final edit:

So unless anyone else has a burning critique on the tip of their tongue I guess I'll deem this finished (of course not perfect, but finished ;-;)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 03:30:40 pm
I'd darken the shadows, so that they're more visible, and so that the eyes/eye-ooze stand out better against them. As-is, the eyes blend into the body.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:08:05 pm
I'd make it lean forward a bit so that the shoulders can go back to a more natural pose (and still have the arm drag) so that it's more apparent the eyes are "crying" as an attack -- the silhouette is the only thing that's hurting this more than anything, because the shoulders just don't appear to exist at all and the arm coming from between the back legs destroys any hint of that actually being another arm behind it.

This is a great concept but I'd hate to see it finished so early -- it only needs a little more work to have a really great piece!

I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/