AuthorTopic: My other cat,Micia  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

My other cat,Micia

on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:13 pm
here's my other kitty,Micia.
She is very shy and has short legs;she always walks unched over,and doesn't like open spaces;she behaves like if she has to hide from a rapacious ready to grab her.
She always follows Pallino and assists him when asking for food,but she lets him be the one who talks(or meows)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:02:50 pm by Afelium »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: My other cat,Micia

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:05:13 am
Pretty good shapes and some good shading blocks.

U should get rid of the light area on the tail and along the back.
It's making a sharp bezel as if it's an 45 degree angled plane.

Instead try adding some more organic blobs of light on the shoulder.
For the tail, we don't need a gradient to know its curved so try just making the section/s that catch the most light be the lighter colour.

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:34 am
Pretty good shapes and some good shading blocks.

U should get rid of the light area on the tail and along the back.
It's making a sharp bezel as if it's an 45 degree angled plane.

Instead try adding some more organic blobs of light on the shoulder.
For the tail, we don't need a gradient to know its curved so try just making the section/s that catch the most light be the lighter colour.
Thanks you for the advice,but I don't exactly know what do you mean with"organic blobs of light",can you link me some good example of this type of lighting?
I'm also not sure about the shading on the belly,should I edit it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:01:22 am by Afelium »

Offline Macattackk

• @PsycheMac
    • View Profile
    • Structure of Reign

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:22 am
I think Decroded means focus more on the anatomical forms and put more light onto those parts like the shoulder blade and the haunches. Also I would expect to see rim lighting on the tops of the feet, especially the farther ones. Although it is not clear whether your light source is straight above the cat, or above and away from the viewer. Think about where that light source is and shade accordingly.
Structure of Reign - Government sandbox strategy game

Twitter: @PsycheMac

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:48:00 pm
tried to fix it and shade it better.Dimmed a bit the light grey and tried to shade and add texture(this thread really helped me:)

Also tried to follow your tips but don't know if I did it well
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:56:13 pm by Afelium »

Offline Macattackk

• @PsycheMac
    • View Profile
    • Structure of Reign

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:50:56 am
Looking a lot better. Its back looks too flat from the way you are shading it. There would be a highlight along where the back bone and haunches are and then it would more quickly turn into the core shadow than the way you have it. Think of the planes that make up the cats body. The back bone is going to be flush with the light while its side isn't. Right now a lot of the side of the cat is fully lit. Do something in between what you previously had and what you have now. That's basically what is shown in the link you provided with the foxes. Think of the meat chunks of the cat like in the link as well.

Also by your current light source, the whole tail should be lit with that highlight part and the front of the face should have less lighting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:55:20 am by Macattackk »

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:54:59 pm
Looking a lot better. Its back looks too flat from the way you are shading it. There would be a highlight along where the back bone and haunches are and then it would more quickly turn into the core shadow than the way you have it. Think of the planes that make up the cats body. The back bone is going to be flush with the light while its side isn't. Right now a lot of the side of the cat is fully lit. Do something in between what you previously had and what you have now. That's basically what is shown in the link you provided with the foxes. Think of the meat chunks of the cat like in the link as well.

Also by your current light source, the whole tail should be lit with that highlight part and the front of the face should have less lighting.
Don't know if I understood what you meant,but here's an edit.
Not sure if it's better than before,but is the shading correct?(didn't know where to put the highlight on the haunch)

Offline Macattackk

• @PsycheMac
    • View Profile
    • Structure of Reign

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:17:00 am
Bingo! Looking even better. I'm colorblind and have trouble seeing red so not sure if you've added red into the lesser light areas as it recedes but to me it seems like there's only red in the highest highlight. If I'm right, there should be red that recedes throughout the lit parts and then none in the shadows.

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:47:47 am
Wow thanks for the advice!Now it looks 1000 times better
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:45:23 am by Afelium »