AuthorTopic: Evil squid  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Evil squid

on: September 19, 2017, 11:00:54 am
Don't know what this is,I just imagined it and did it,but I think there are a lot of errors(especially in the tantacles),but I don't know exactly where

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Evil squid

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:48:57 pm
The tentacles mainly just look very blocky because of the doubled-up corners. When you need a line that's thicker than 1px but thinner than 2px, the appropriate technique to use is AA (anti-aliasing) rather than thickening up the corners. At this small size, AA is also very useful for making the curves in general look softer.

Here's an edit that adds AA to clean up the blockiness:

I also tapered the middle tentacles a bit, and made the right tentacle thicker at the shoulder, it looks like it was getting ready to fall off xP

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:46 pm
Wow thanks,never tought you could AA a dark purple line with such a different color as that green

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:17:00 pm
For AA, the hue doesn't matter all that much because the larger areas of colour around the AA overpower the hue of the AA colour, especially if the AA colour isn't very saturated.

You could even AA between two greens with a low-saturation red and it still looks alright:

The key thing is that the value works, and that the AA colour isn't so saturated that it stands out.

So, while an AA colour that's a perfect blend of the colours it's smoothing between might be the obvious solution, you can actually often get away with using some unrelated colour that you're already using for something else :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:25:12 pm by eishiya »

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:08 am
Very useful tip,I'll remember that.thank you :)