AuthorTopic: New Project - Animation feedback?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

New Project - Animation feedback?

on: November 07, 2006, 12:02:16 am
Scroll down for updated posts.

Old====
Yo. Just joined up hoping for some great feedback.

I'll get right into it.

Punching.

Walking.

Walking, with arms.

Thanks. I'll update soon.

Edit:

Might as well show this for fun. It's pretty old, actually. The graphics were for a platformer a friend was making in Python.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 09:16:06 pm by Wes »

Offline typeoh

• View Profile

Re: New Project - Animation feedback?

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 12:33:14 am
I'm not sure if you were working towards this effect, but does your character have any knees? ???

Theres a couple threads here which have good examples of ways to fix walking cycles
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:37:01 am by typeoh »

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:57 am
Well, he's meant to be sort of cute and stubby, so I was trying to accomplish that sort of thing.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:19:17 am
I actually like the walking cycle for a character like this, the usual wouldn't fit the character imo. Maybe make the head bob?
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:07:02 pm
Thank you.

My original plan was to create the came in a semi-platformer, semi-rpg style, similar to Paper Mario. I've changed it a bit, though, to a game that will have both platformer and RPG elements in separate areas, to allow for a bit more variety.

This means that I'll probably scratch that I have so far and redo it to fit a more traditional platformer perspective and style.

In terms of the RPG sprite, I really need some help. I've been making RPG sprites for a while now, but I always have a problem on the side views, usually settling on a side view that looks like a platform sprite. I need some serious advice on making the top-down perspective thing work (on the side mostly, but on the front as well).

And this guy I just uploaded because I did it and felt like showing him for fun. It's basically the punch animation from above with chothing.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:58:40 pm
With the fireball move, perhaps if the motion was kind of like pulling back on a bow?? I think that woud put more action into the animation. It's pretty cute, but could definitely be a little more dynamic in terms of animation. Would you try a roundhouse kick next?

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:20 pm
The fireball was meant to show the impact of the punch rather than be an actual fireball. As for a roundhouse kick- well, I'd love to do that, but I really don't think I'm good enough.

I've been reworking the walking animation for the platform sprite. I've seen a lot of you guys here using this technique and I've never tried it before. What do you think?

Progress. Newest on right.

I was able to give him knees and still keep the cute stubby look, I think.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:17:35 pm by Wes »

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:57:52 pm
Unless you really need to conserve frames for this, I'd recommend not having two frames of the walk be idle frames.  Instead, have one frame of the right foot being planted, one frame with the left leg coming past the right leg (left leg not planted, but rather bent), one frame of the left foot being planted, and one frame of the right leg being brought past the left.  I hope that made sense...  Good start, regardless.

[EDIT] Here's a 5 minute animation attempting to demonstrate what I'm talking about.  Please excuse the crappiness; I'm not good at animating.
Nevermind, yours looks 10 times better than mine.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:46:48 pm by robalan »
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:19:13 pm
I really, really don't want to go below four frames. It'd be tough for the person doing the programming (not to mention more work for me).

I did, however, add in the "plant" frames instead of recycling the idle.

What do you think? I think it's an improvement, thank you!

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:49:34 pm
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about.  That looks much better.  The one comment I do still have is that the legs might want to be a bit longer; they're really stubby at the moment.

Good improvement!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.