AuthorTopic: My first textures  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

My first textures

on: October 03, 2017, 01:46:25 pm
I wanted to try to do some textures.
I wanted to start from rocks and that's the result

Made some tiles out of them

is it good?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:38:04 pm by Afelium »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: My first textures

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:37:38 pm
Define "good". What are you aiming to achieve? What is the purpose of these tiles? is this top view, side view? Without knowing what you're trying to achieve, no one can tell you how well or poorly you've done.

Do you have a specific type of rock/texture you're going after? What's the scale on these? Are these pebbles seen from above, or the side of a cliff? Cliffs aren't usually made of a bunch of distinct rocks like this.

It really helps to set out to achieve something specific rather than thinking in vague terms like [rocks], and think in terms of entire environments, not elements in isolation. Look at cool environments in real life (and in games if you want), see how they come together. It takes more than a rock tile to make the ground look like pebbles and a cliff to look like a cliff. By observing real environments, you can learn what makes them feel/look like those environments.

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Re: My first textures

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:24:11 pm
Define "good". What are you aiming to achieve? What is the purpose of these tiles? is this top view, side view? Without knowing what you're trying to achieve, no one can tell you how well or poorly you've done.

Do you have a specific type of rock/texture you're going after? What's the scale on these? Are these pebbles seen from above, or the side of a cliff? Cliffs aren't usually made of a bunch of distinct rocks like this.

It really helps to set out to achieve something specific rather than thinking in vague terms like [rocks], and think in terms of entire environments, not elements in isolation. Look at cool environments in real life (and in games if you want), see how they come together. It takes more than a rock tile to make the ground look like pebbles and a cliff to look like a cliff. By observing real environments, you can learn what makes them feel/look like those environments.
Thank you for the advice :)
To be honest,I made these tiles only to give purpose to that texture,so I didn't think about all of that:-[.
The only thing I can say is that the wiew is from the side(I was thinking to a platformer style while doing these).About the scale,a human could be 1.8 tiles tall.I'll make some descent tiles,but I don't know how many should they be and at what degree.
In the while I wanted to know if I'm going to the right direction

before reading your post,I tried to make the tiles connect better

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:39:50 pm by Afelium »