AuthorTopic: Mortar/special animation (CC)  (Read 2234 times)

Offline miwicp1986

• View Profile

Mortar/special animation (CC)

on: September 05, 2017, 03:55:08 pm

Hey all,

just done this special mortar attack animation, any constructive criticism welcome, cheers!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Mortar/special animation (CC)

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:52:40 pm
Try to keep the legs in the same spot. Doing this and making the movement more of a crouch will make it look more like he's bracing himself for the launch!
Also, tweak the shape of the Snap-back, try and have it look more loose right after snapping, it'll give it a more rubber-bandy look and make it easier to follow the snap!
Elastic materials like rubber bands (or, well, ELASTIC) tend to twist a bit as they lose tension rather than just flinging straight up like a sling would.\
You can sorta see what I mean in this gif here:

EDIT: found a better example
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Mortar/special animation (CC)

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:42:27 am
Study up on anticipation, action, and follow-through. Also "line-of-action" would help too. This has none of the above unfortunately.

For example, what force makes the skull bounce up out of the bag? What makes the loincloth (I think that's what it is there...) move forward and up? That's an example of follow-through.

Anticipation is what MysteryMeat is trying to explain in the gif above with the bending down on one knee. That shows some "tensing" of energy to where it's ready to be released at any moment (the stretch instead of the squash) to give it some "pop" when that energy is released into the hurling bomb-ball that eventually becomes the squash that comes after the stretch.

Just play around with the two and your animation will come to life a lot more.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/