AuthorTopic: [CC] Window in brick house  (Read 3018 times)

Offline MadSheep

• View Profile

[CC] Window in brick house

on: September 01, 2017, 08:18:29 pm
How bad is it? :-\

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Re: [CC] Window in brick house

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:21:49 pm
It's good ;3

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:39:42 pm
The shadow cast by the window sill (light source is front-center) doesn't match the shadows cast by everything else (light source front-right).

The mortar is rarely perfectly flush with the bricks, so I think it would be a good detail to have the shadows on the mortar be placed a pixel off from the shadows on the bricks.

It feels a bit off that the window cuts some bricks off so that there's only a pixel of them visible. What builder would waste bricks like that?
Window-holes in brick walls are built, not cut through. To make sure the window fits, some unusually-sized bricks might be used, and even when these are less than half a brick, they're usually a decently large chunk to make sure it keeps its strength. When the desired window size doesn't work with that, the hole is made bigger and a thicker frame is used for the window.
In addition, the top of the window-hole (the lintel) usually has a different brick arrangement to make sure the hole is stable and doesn't collapse in on itself. Sometimes the bottom does as well. Here's a ref photo showing some of the things I mentioned.

Offline MadSheep

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:34:41 pm
The shadow cast by the window sill (light source is front-center) doesn't match the shadows cast by everything else (light source front-right).

The mortar is rarely perfectly flush with the bricks, so I think it would be a good detail to have the shadows on the mortar be placed a pixel off from the shadows on the bricks.

It feels a bit off that the window cuts some bricks off so that there's only a pixel of them visible. What builder would waste bricks like that?
Window-holes in brick walls are built, not cut through. To make sure the window fits, some unusually-sized bricks might be used, and even when these are less than half a brick, they're usually a decently large chunk to make sure it keeps its strength. When the desired window size doesn't work with that, the hole is made bigger and a thicker frame is used for the window.
In addition, the top of the window-hole (the lintel) usually has a different brick arrangement to make sure the hole is stable and doesn't collapse in on itself. Sometimes the bottom does as well. Here's a ref photo showing some of the things I mentioned.

Thank you so much! Quick fix for shadows:

I will think about the sizes of bricks next to the window, I think I get it but I need to understand how to make it. You mentioned some picture but it hasn't been attached :(

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:14:09 pm
The word "ref" is a link to the picture. Pixelation doesn't highlight links very well.

The shadow makes the sill look like it's paper-thin xP

Ship Shipley

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:07:15 pm
How bad is it? :-\

It's not bad; it's good.  Ship it already.

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:40:58 pm
Shipley, you're not really adding anything in this critique section. Healthy commentary is a way for people to improve their art.

Also, just wanted to pitch in and say that in brick houses, the top of the lintel doesn't necessarily always have a different brick arrangement. Also, sometimes a concrete beam is used above it, so there's possibilities.

Also, it seems weird that your bricks are either a light or dark variant of the exact same brick, try adding some more different versions of (possibly random) textures.

Offline MadSheep

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:15 pm
Shipley, you're not really adding anything in this critique section. Healthy commentary is a way for people to improve their art.

Also, just wanted to pitch in and say that in brick houses, the top of the lintel doesn't necessarily always have a different brick arrangement. Also, sometimes a concrete beam is used above it, so there's possibilities.

Also, it seems weird that your bricks are either a light or dark variant of the exact same brick, try adding some more different versions of (possibly random) textures.

Thanks for your comments, I completely agree about bricks texture, will add a couple of different versions later :)