AuthorTopic: Total Pixel Art Newbie! Looking for advice  (Read 2613 times)

Offline MortMcMoneyman

• View Profile

Total Pixel Art Newbie! Looking for advice

on: August 25, 2017, 03:34:07 pm
So just a few days ago I posted this thread in the "animation" section of this forum:

--------------------
A friend and I were recently talking about hyper light drifter and its amazing pixel art. During the conversation I said something like "I havent tried myself, but I would imagine it to be pretty difficult to make this look like actual movement". I noticed nothing is stopping me from experiencing it myself, so i opened up paint.net and made this:

The character I had in my head was a barely known character from prince of persia: fallen king.

I know you will pull your hair out from seeing this, but I personally dont know what is wrong exactly, i think the bounce is a little weird. Ignore the hair for now, i wanted to wait until i have the rest right before i touch that, the bounce probably affects hair alot. I planned on changing the color of the body later on so that there is only one base and one shadow color (but regardless of that shadows are probably not in the right places, please tell me). Also, anatomy?
 ???
--------------------

It didnt get any attention at all. I think the reason for this is, before I can think about animating, I probably have to really get the character right (or anything pixel arty at all). Thats why I posted it here now, because i think im not far enough for animation.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Total Pixel Art Newbie! Looking for advice

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:14 pm
I think you actually did fine (arms are a bit short, that's all). It's more that animation is hard to give feedback in many cases, and even just giving an animation a closer look takes more effort than just zooming in a still image.

The run looks a bit strange because the legs remain bent throughout and seem to drag along the ground for many of the frames. Look up "run cycle animation" and you'll find lots of frame-by-frame breakdowns of the motion. You'll notice that just about all of them, even sluggish runs, have at least one frame per leg where it's straight.
Unlike in walking, in running there are moments when both feet are off the ground. In your animation, at least one foot is on the ground at all times.

Offline MortMcMoneyman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:04 pm
I think you actually did fine (arms are a bit short, that's all). It's more that animation is hard to give feedback in many cases, and even just giving an animation a closer look takes more effort than just zooming in a still image.

The run looks a bit strange because the legs remain bent throughout and seem to drag along the ground for many of the frames. Look up "run cycle animation" and you'll find lots of frame-by-frame breakdowns of the motion. You'll notice that just about all of them, even sluggish runs, have at least one frame per leg where it's straight.
Unlike in walking, in running there are moments when both feet are off the ground. In your animation, at least one foot is on the ground at all times.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I guess it makes sense that its a lot harder to give feedback on a moving image rather than a still one.

So I should add a frame before each "landing"? That sounds right! I had found one amazing slowmo gif from the metal gear 5 running animation that I used as a reference. I guess I know now why So many running animations use 8 frames instead of 6 like me!
Are the arms so wrong that Id have to change them? What do you think about the bounce?
I will add that other frame and post it here when Im done!

This is the referance animation I was talking about. His legs arent fully bent here either
https://abload.de/img/22qsp4tsjv1.gif
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:51:57 pm by MortMcMoneyman »

Offline MortMcMoneyman

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:48 pm
Sorry for the long pause!
I added the frame where both feet are of the ground and the legs are straight (as straight as they get while running).

Do you have other tips or critique? Am I ready to do the hair now?

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:46 pm
Edit:
I found the animation a little stiff, so i made them squash a bit when coming down and also made them go up in the air more. I was also bothered by the head movement and I tried to solve that, as you can see.
You get in the bowl

Offline MortMcMoneyman

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:15 am
Edit:
I found the animation a little stiff, so i made them squash a bit when coming down and also made them go up in the air more. I was also bothered by the head movement and I tried to solve that, as you can see.

Hm, to be honest, im not a big fan of this edit, because it wasnt supposed to look this wacky/cartoony.
What exactly do you mean about the head movement?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 10:15:14 pm
that hair/fire whatever looks weirdly static. As for the cartoony look of it, I'd say you could fix that by having the legs shoot out a bit less or maybe have the arm hold the sword more steady for a more battle-ready look.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |