AuthorTopic: Need some help with this  (Read 19184 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Need some help with this

on: November 05, 2006, 12:41:05 am
Well this was first just an example for xio, which was followed by an amazing example by Helm so I kinda felt the need to finish it as I felt so overshadowed and.. at the time I was pretty pleased with it.  :-[ I just want to see this complete.  :P

After a few stages later I've come to this.. And I don't really want to screw this up so any advice or critisism would be greatly apprichiated, i'm welcoming towards edits too  :P.

Well, you're the experts.. Any comments?

better post some references I used too.. Just for help with face structure and cus her body initially didn't look right, added a jumper like on that last reference.
http://indicerolero.hermitcave.com/dailyPics/images/p2_fallen_angel_II.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4430/refdb8.png
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:15:35 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Need some help with this

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 12:52:28 am
Her neck is too small, Terley. Instead of having about the width of her smile, the neck should almost reach as wide as the sides of her jaw.

I don't like the generic star on her cheek compared to the better looking twinkles. Also, you've got very rich dark shades, but very pale light ones. Add more saturation or change the lighter colors completely to add more interest.

Her nose is segemnted so as too look stuck on, ease the transition from the straight line of darker colors on the left side of the bridge of her nose.

Her smile is wide, but her cheeks dont match up. There should be a large dark crease on the right side and a matching highlight with a bit of dark on the left.

Good job thus far. Please detail her hair, this is looking alarmingly like your avatar which always seemed unfinished for lack of detailed hair. Look at other pixel artist portraiture, and see how highlights can really make hair pop.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 01:07:48 am
Thanks for the honesty GS, I see what ya mean.. Her neck is really thin now I look at it, im glad I haven't got round to that part fully yet, it won't be too much hastle to fix  ;). Also that star was buggin me too.

You're right about the nose too, I'll have a tinker with that.

I've tried adding the smile-creases previously but to keep the femininity I guess i've been a chicken and avoided it so far  :-[

With the hair I'll post it's progress soon but i'll really have to work on that, I can do strands of hair, but the bulk of it always gets me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:12:01 am

I commend you for your bravery. Womanly features are tough because a single pixel changes everything. I'm not very good at it, but heh, as far as a plastic surgeon edit goes, maybe it will be helpful to you.

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:39:18 am
Wow thanks alot Helm your edit definately shows up all the area's I need to work on, it'd be so easy to claim your edit as my own but.. no. Im determained to fix her myself  ^-^

You're edit's neck makes a whole lotta difference too, cheers.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 01:46:40 am
I did this in a couple seconds, but I think it just needed to be done.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 02:20:35 am
first plastic surgeon, now hair-stylist. I'd personally go for something like this:

just begging to get its highlights and stuff. Probably a pure black would help too for the whole piece.

Terley: no worries, glad to have helped. Remember the point isn't to make a good picture only. It's to be good enough to make as many good pictures as you need.

EDIT: and just noticed, don't use Royo as reference for god's sake. Use photos and real people, not art by a guy that can't draw more than one woman even if his life depended on it!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:27:16 am by Helm »

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:23:48 am
ok updated the initial worries. Looks much better thanks to what I saw on Helm's edit and following GS's crits.

I'll convert this into colour, Helm do you mind if I use your colours? Because the tones work so much better than on mine.

I really like the hair suggestion too,  :-X Looks much more natural. I'll have a go at editiing the hair too next.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 02:30:18 am
I think the smile looks about 10 times better, though the cheek separations though realistic probably, might hurt the femininity to a degree. Lighter rendering there. It's not that I mind you using my colors, but I'd suggest going in on your pixel art program and altering your colors by eyeballing mine, so you can see why I chose as I chose, don't just copy the values. There's method that you should learn - probably not from me as there's people accusing me that I have people that color like me all over the place now - and you should learn it somehow. Don't copy anything from critique. Just like you did with the mouth, which I think is better now than it was in my version. Take critique, apply it using your own judgement and you'll arrive at something better than the edit.

Endure!

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 02:43:00 am
thanks a lot for your help Helm, Im glad you're so dedicated to helping people here.

I wouldn't ever think of simply using you're colouring, I do need help with colouring which is probably due to only using ms paint for pixeling so far, You'll be glad to know I've been using Graphics Gale starting last week. I'll do just that and try figure out which colours to select myself, I'll look at a few pixeler's work so don't worry Helm.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:44:47 am by Terley »