AuthorTopic: Robot Girl  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Robot Girl

on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:59 pm
This is a new style for me and I'm having trouble translating the details I want into such a small sprite.

This is my reference image. I don't want to directly copy it, but I like this person's design a lot.

I'm pretty lost on the outlines. I've been almost randomly changing colors on her body. This character is for a game and I'm already pushing it with her size. If I could make her even shorter that'd be wonderful.

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Re: Robot Girl

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:00 pm
What do you think about this one ?

Edit 1 :

Edit 2 :

I've tried to do the copy of this picture and your edit. I've changed the shading make her a little bit thinner on the body and added this glass oh her head

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:20:12 pm
I just had fun with this.
Tried to make that reference in a similar style. Hopefully this is useful.

* may contain misinformation

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:09 pm
Awesome edits, thanks guys! It's really helpful to see other people's take on the same reference image.

I now have a boy and a girl robot with subtle difference between them:

I was going to post how they look in game when I discovered that I'm a dolt. Apparently my code had been stretching out my old 32x32 filler sprite to a 48x48 canvas :D. I've got to go back and scale these guys up a bit. I'll probably post some edits later tonight Turns out it actually looks good at 32x32, I'd rather improve it at this size than redo it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:22:45 pm by Aniki »

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:32:45 am
Awesome edits, thanks guys! It's really helpful to see other people's take on the same reference image.

I now have a boy and a girl robot with subtle difference between them:

I was going to post how they look in game when I discovered that I'm a dolt. Apparently my code had been stretching out my old 32x32 filler sprite to a 48x48 canvas :D. I've got to go back and scale these guys up a bit. I'll probably post some edits later tonight

I think the left-hand one could do with outlines for the top of their head. I'm also a little leery of the single pixel gaps under the arms - those could cause issues when the sprite is moving. Otherwise I really like it though.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:14:05 pm
Could you elaborate on the single-pixel gap problem? I'll probably start animating the girl first.

I'm not sure about the "hair" in the side and back views. This is a game for my students, and thus both of these characters are supposed to look like 10-12 year olds.

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:00 pm
Here is my edited version :

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:14:32 am
Walking animation update:

It's a little rigid but I'd like to keep it at 4 frames. I don't think the side view needs to look that rigid. Any advice?

Also, here's an in-game screenshot:

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 02:51:09 am
Can't think of too many solutions if you're sticking with 4 frames. I would move the upper or lower torso horizontally a couple pixels. Maybe even just one. I like to show leans forward or back in a walk to show weight, but it might not work well with just 4 frames.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:14 am
Yeah, the rigidity comes from not moving the whole thing I think. Rotate the pelvis some with the walk, it'll add a bit more fluidity to the motion.
Or, since it's a robot, leave it stiff.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |