AuthorTopic: anime faces  (Read 4784 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: anime faces

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 12:29:40 am
To clarify, I was talking about the use of two different blues in the eyes, not your use of white. At 3x the two blues in the eye still read as essentially solid.
The eye whites are fine to keep, though you probably don't really need the shadow for the same reason that you don't really need the two blues in the eye.

Offline Topsy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:59 am
To clarify, I was talking about the use of two different blues in the eyes, not your use of white. At 3x the two blues in the eye still read as essentially solid.
The eye whites are fine to keep, though you probably don't really need the shadow for the same reason that you don't really need the two blues in the eye.

Ohh misread  :huh: ya that also stems from detail over shading to avoid 'blandness' but which is worse? Eh I'll figure out later. Same for the brows, without that there's no focus on anything. Working on a new head/body/everything style we'll see how it turns out!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:00:09 am
Details do not necessarily help make something less bland xP If those details don't draw the viewer's attention to the right areas, or if they're not noticeable, then you can still have a bland-looking result. On the other hand, if the minimal detail is well-placed and easily visible, you can have an exciting-looking artwork. You could certainly keep your shadows in the eyes, but if you do, make them count by making them high-contrast enough to be easily visible at your target zoom.

I recommend checking out the sprites in the latest Momodora game. They have a similar scale and detail level to what you seem to be going for, but are executed very well. The colours are interesting, the contrast is good, and the poses are dynamic. You can find a bunch of the character sprites on Spriters Resource.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 06:18:47 am
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1