AuthorTopic: First Timer - Attempt at a pixel bed w/ sheets (side view)  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Siimon

• View Profile
Hey, everyone!

The last time I posted was in January (kind of fell off the wagon) but I'm back at it again.
I was wondering if I could get some critique on this bed, I tried to draw it without using a reference.

Two things are bugging me:

1) The color palette so I might need to read up on some color theory :D
2) I'm not sure I got my shading right, it's a side view, so would it be brighter in the middle of the mattress? Since there's the sheet on top I'm not entirely sure.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: First Timer - Attempt at a pixel bed w/ sheets (side view)

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:37 pm
The side of the mattress is mostly just flat, so unless the light source is nearby and weak enough to have quick fall-off (e.g. a candle, a table lamp), the side would actually be largely flat-coloured, aside from shadows cast on it by the sheets and ambient occlusion shadows (shadows created by crevasses which light has a harder time getting into) from the details/texture on it.

Shadows are just areas where there is less light. So, to draw shadows, think of the object as a 3D thing, don't reduce it to a cardboard cutout. Imagine your light source and your 3D object. Where does the light reach, where is its path blocked?

Some very rough edits to show you how the bed might look lit from various directions:

The top row has the sun, a very powerful light source with no noticeable fall-off.
The other rows have a candle or nightlight with very noticeable fall-off.
The 3D position of the light matters. In all of these cases, the light is just slightly in front of the bed. If it were behind, you might get something more like this:

I got rid of most of your texture when making these edits because I wanted you to focus on light in general. You can always add the texture later. At this size though, you should keep it to a minimum, focusing on just the largest folds. Small texture in pixel art tends to just look like noise.

If you struggle with imagining things in 3D, I recommend drawing the bed at an angle where you can see more than just one side of it. That might make it easier to understand what's going on with the light. You may also want to do some exercises in shading simple objects, like this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:44:20 pm by eishiya »

Offline Siimon

• View Profile

Re: First Timer - Attempt at a pixel bed w/ sheets (side view)

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:10:08 pm
Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation and for the great examples, these will definitely help me!

I see now that my biggest mistake was thinking that the camera should cast some dim light, rather than working solely with whatever light source is in the scene. I'll try some simple shade shading like you recommended.

Thanks again.