AuthorTopic: Characters and monsters  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Teriyaki

• @teriyaki_beach
    • View Profile

Characters and monsters

on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:33 am
Hello everyone,

I'm new in pixelation and I'm happy to be here!  :)

I have always been a lover of pixel art and recently I decided that it was time to get down to work and get my own creations.

In addition to some object design practices and tile sets I'm working on this series of characters and monsters.

The proportions are inspired by some of the games and artists that I like, but trying to get my own style.

My idea is to maintain a minimalist style, with a slightly cartoon/humorous touch on the designs. With simple hands and feet (1-pixel for human-sized designs).

Overall I'm happy with the result so far, but I'm sure there are many points that I could improve, so I'm happy to hear any criticism or advice!

The next step is to try to make some animations and prepare some proper tyle set!  ;)

Offline Noba

• View Profile

Re: Characters and monsters

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:59:00 pm
Honestly these are pretty great, I can't think of any criticism or anything, but I'm new to pixel art-ish so I wouldn't know anyway.

One thing I can say, though, is that on the third monster, maybe make the darker shading on it's belly a bit darker? Doesn't seem that round, if you know what I mean.

Offline Teriyaki

• @teriyaki_beach
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:52 am
Thank you Noba!

Yes, there is definitely something in the shadows that could be improved. I'm going to work on it.  ;)

And well, a couple more skeletons, another kind of flying eye and the sketch of some sort of dark knight.

So far I have been working with a range of 3 shades per color (base color, shade and light) but I feel that for the main areas is very limited, so I am testing ranges of 4 and 5 shades per color, to see how it works.

Offline eklips23

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:24:54 am

They are pretty much perfect for the most part, but I made an edit to show a few things.

1) The woman and man -
I suggest using less colors, as shown in my edit. But if you still want to use more colors, that is fine too. But I would make more distinction between the colors. For example, the color for the skin should use 3 easily distinguished colors. As they are right now, they look too much the same and dont stand out enough and make it look slightly blurry. I hope that makes sense.

2) The monster -
My edit just shows a slightly different way of shading. Not much really.

3) Ghost -
The highlighting looked like pixel banding(I think that is the correct term Im looking for) so my edit tries to fix that. I also showed it using one more color.

Excellent characters, by the way! :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:51:39 am by eklips23 »

Offline Teriyaki

• @teriyaki_beach
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:48 pm
Thanks for the tips!   ;)

I really like your edits. They have helped me to better understand how to use lights and shadows (each pixel is important  :))

I'm going to do more ghost for put this in practice.

Offline Lobo Bobo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:58:54 pm
They look real good! I like how you managed to show rich designs in really few pixels.

The one thing I think that can be improved is the archer with the snake head (i think?) Its like none of the other creatures/characters has an outline, nor the body of this creature does...But his head has a black outline and it doesnt appear to be a reason for that.

The same goes for the red little round thingy with the spear, that you posted yesterday.

Offline Teriyaki

• @teriyaki_beach
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:13:00 am
They look real good! I like how you managed to show rich designs in really few pixels.

The one thing I think that can be improved is the archer with the snake head (i think?) Its like none of the other creatures/characters has an outline, nor the body of this creature does...But his head has a black outline and it doesnt appear to be a reason for that.

The same goes for the red little round thingy with the spear, that you posted yesterday.

Thanks!  :)

I have made some edits in the lights and shadows on the serpent woman head. Let me know what you think.

In addition, a goblin joins the party. (I think he needs more contrast in his chest and helmet)

And the first tests of terrain elements.

Offline Lobo Bobo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:13 pm

Thanks!  :)

I have made some edits in the lights and shadows on the serpent woman head. Let me know what you think.

In addition, a goblin joins the party. (I think he needs more contrast in his chest and helmet)

And the first tests of terrain elements.

I think the edit looks better but still there is something that seems off about this snake one... I know it is a fantasy setting and all and its a freaking snake headed humanoid but its proportions seems like... The head is too big and heavy for the body?

About the goblin, yeah, maybe more contrast, but it already looks cute :)

And about the trees and stuff... They look amazing but they call MUCH more attention than the character sprites and I think they shouldn't... And the chest texture doesn't seem like its made of planks (?)

I don't know if I am expressing it right @_@ sorry my bad english.

Offline Teriyaki

• @teriyaki_beach
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:09 pm

I think the edit looks better but still there is something that seems off about this snake one... I know it is a fantasy setting and all and its a freaking snake headed humanoid but its proportions seems like... The head is too big and heavy for the body?

About the goblin, yeah, maybe more contrast, but it already looks cute :)

And about the trees and stuff... They look amazing but they call MUCH more attention than the character sprites and I think they shouldn't... And the chest texture doesn't seem like its made of planks (?)

I don't know if I am expressing it right @_@ sorry my bad english.

He disproportionate size of the head is somewhat intentional. It is inspired by the designs of the snake men of Dark Souls  :)

I'm still looking for a color palette that works well with the characters. I think desaturated tones may be the best choice, something in the style of Witchmarsh  ???

By the way, seeing your nickname are you by any chance a Spanish speaker?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:47:36 pm by Teriyaki »