AuthorTopic: Squaretale's Pixel Game  (Read 32834 times)

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Re: Squaretale's Pixel Game

Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:08 am
Really trying to nail the whole tileset thing for this forest level. Was having trouble with making different tiers of grass, so on one of my tests I did this ground and stone look. I like it the most out of what I tried. Maybe its because it flattens the area that the player will walk on. Idk.

I intend to try and add more grass, and some alpha decoratives to make things more green. Suggestions are welcome.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 11:23:14 pm
While that looks neat, I think maybe it's a bit too minimalistic on the grass. Feels unbalanced. Perhaps something you could do is add a "foreground" layer of grass that goes maybe one or two pixels up in front that covers the bottoms of the shoes?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 02:08:12 am
@MysteryMeat

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to work something out. I don't know why doing grass gives me such a problem. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 07:16:26 am
In a few words: "grass is fiddly green earth-pube bullshit"

Sometimes its easy other times its hard, but often you can kinda simplify it like hair. Ie, rather than individual strands you draw tufts and shade for texture. It's something that might help here, but depending on intent you should keep this version on hand too since it reads as a more worn-in, threadbare kind of grass.

Offline danieldiggle

• danieldiggle
    • View Profile
    • Daniel J Diggle

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:50 pm
Lovely progress on this since I last looked! really unique style.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 06:11:40 am
I've been rather busy so I haven't really posted anything here in a while. So until the next big update in progress heres a death animation I was working on for Alex.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 02:44:03 pm
I like the idea of him disintegrating, but the transition from solid to particles feels very linear. I think having some larger clumps at the edges (which also move up) would work better, and then those clumps would break up into single-pixel particles.

Is the page meant to be inside of him, and the body around it disintegrates? If so, I think it reads quite well! It even looks like you have some particles coming off the page as it flies up, I think you should make those more visible and maybe trail from the page a little longer, as they look more like stragglers from the transformation than coming off the page.
If the page being inside him wasn't your goal, or if you're looking for alternatives ideas, how about having the particles gather towards the center and coalesce into the page?

How will this animation work when the character is in motion? Will the character's body just stop moving suddenly, or will you wait for it to stop before playing the animation? Since you have a static element (the book), I think this would look weird starting to play while the character is still in motion.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:10 pm
like Eishiya said, I'd also say you should have it start as he's jumping into the air there. Having it ONLY happen after he comes to a rest is, while easy, a lot less visually interesting.

Another thing you could try is having the particles "swirl" into the page in streams like a cyclone.wouldn't be terribly hard to accomplish, just use the select tool to create the spiral shapes and the spray tool to get the particles in there I'd think.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 07:58:04 pm
Those are some good notes guys! Someone had mentioned that he was too still to me, and I was thinking of a fix for that. I don't intend for him to be still or if I do, the animation would happen a lot quicker to compensate during the disintegration. Though he'll more than likely have some motion. 

Those pixels were stragglers from the body, and not from the page itself. Making this effect was a huge pain in the ass, and I'd rather not make an addition that would require me to redo it. (please no,  D:) Though if it is something I can apply without having to start over, I'd certainly give it a go. Its not that I don't want that kind of polish, just that at the moment that will be something to come back to.

Doing that by hand is not fun. But I'll make a note of the useful tips you guys mentioned when I come back to this. Thanks guys.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:13 pm

Working on my level design. A step up from my last attempt. Excuse the mess of colors, I was testing something and this was a picture grab from that. Currently working on cleanup. Attempting to add foreground and background elements that will blend well with the midground.