AuthorTopic: Squaretale's Pixel Game  (Read 32828 times)

Offline G01dmaster

• A dollar a day keeps the Gold away.
    • View Profile

Re: Squaretale's Pixel Game

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 06:58:45 pm
So coming in, love the vision, the idea, its calm and nice, but I want to talk about the attacks, specifically talking of what i like and dislike about all 5 versions :D

Version 1
Its smooth, the attacks don't have breaks in it, and its easy to reset back to his normal stance, and leaves very little space for an attack, and is a 3 swing attack, simple but shows a lot.
It has the same up to down strikes twice and gets boring after watching it more than 10 times, so you probably need to make this more... complicated... and if you used this one I would say set up more than 1 attack combo, make it random or a set command, like up+attack or down+attack etc...

Version 2
I was asking an art major some questions about these, and he liked this one because it showed more action in it with the leap, but I don't like how he just ends crouched, maybe add a few more frames in there? It also feels really fast in the end, like a low weight sword but the ending swing is really long, like a large strong sword, feels improper, mabye increase the swords length during that attack (since the sword DOES transform you can make it longer if you wanted to)

Version 3
Its clean, its nice, all attacks are around the same speed, I don't see too many problems with it, but the feet seem a little off when he is turning around, I'm not sure due to the look of it but it looks like he is swinging and pivoting on a foot, which would be bad if an enemy parried as it would knock you off your feet and basically make you lose... idk your choice on this one, this is one of my favorites tho

Version 4
Swords normally either specialize in stab, or slash, based on the design of your sword it looks like a slash sword, as more stabby swords and more pointy, like a rapier (ooooh i love them) and when you attack with a straight attack, it takes longer for you to swing again because you have to move your whole arm and body into position again, so the next attack feels a tad to fast, but not to much. and also when ending a combo your last attack is normally the strongest, so put more emotion or effort into it? its like a left left right combo, ending it with a knockout punch.

Version 5
Looks like a samurai sword :D
Well, it literally looks like a samurai using that sword, it's interesting, maybe a different sword type?!?

Not much different during edit, sorry for long wait :p
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:17:06 am by G01dmaster »
Gold is Da Bomb, ey...
(WIP SIGNITURE)

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 02:28:32 am
@G01dmaster

Thank you for the feedback. This is the kind of stuff I like to hear back on. Still working on it so I don't have new stuff to show yet, but I'll address your notes as a collective because there are some things I didn't mention prior that may explain some things you'd mentioned. But aside from those you've brought up some good points.

We probably won't have multiple ground combos. No particular reason for this, just that we intend to have multiple weapons to change from. I'll probably do a descending from air attack, but not an ascending one. One of the games I've been looking at for inspiration is Momodora, which has a three hit combo and it works for all reasons and purposes.

The combos were recordings from me actually holding a wooden sword I'd got at a flea market, it was just a placeholder.

For gameplay I intend Alex to acutally be holding a book in his hand when the sword is equipped. Unless you actually press the attack button the book won't turn into a sword, which is why I'm leaning towards the lunge first attack. It presents a great way to show the sword folding out of the book for an extended reach in one move. After you lunge the sword will remain out, but has a cooldown time for it to retract that refreshes everytime you attack. This is also an unintentional call out to another game I'm working for called Attack On Kitten.

Slash or Stabby, the sword's concept is actually thinner in a way that it could be used either or. If I can still show the origami folding out with a thinner version I will make it thinner. Making it extend might be a later add if we go with it.   

Aside from using the lunge as the first hit, I could follow up with any 3 hit combo. I personally also like ending with the jump slash, and don't worry. I'd exaggerate that to look better if I go with that one.

Thanks again. Oh and also for version 3, I did those recordings in gravel while wearing flipflops, so my footing was definitely off.  ;) ;)

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 09:46:19 am
Omg, finally another update on here.

Sprite Animation ready for tilesheet, almost. Animations not just flipped, but edited for asymmetrical items like the bag and his shirt logo. (just realized I did the combat roll starting from the idle pose, when it should have been from a jog pose. I wonder if that'll screw me over)

Recent change in character, I've decided to stick with just two colors for the hair. Forgot to apply this to jog, will do later.

Also working on death animation concept. I tried researching scenes where a character does one of those dramatic collapses before death. Didn't find much of what I was looking for. Here is something close to what we're going for.

Gonna change the way the paper comes in the scene, but my partner likes the way that the paper erases him. I like the pose but I was also trying some other looks with him completely hitting the ground, the paper effect could happen after any of them.

The combo has yet to come on account of me needing to go back to designing the level. I've made enough so my programming partner can play with stuff. (I still want to throw something at him) ::)

Fun fact for later guys. I'm not posting in job search section because I don't have a full deciding vote on this, but if anyone is interested in joining this game endeavor I may find the need to have some assistance in the distant future. But if someone could match what we're looking for I could probably argue to bring them on sooner.  ;) ;)

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:45 am
Finally finished lining up my character's sprite sheet.

Now I'm working on making a a tileset for my forest scene. I recently watched a tutorial on choosing color palettes, but I'm still not sold on this one.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 09:24:29 am
I'm not satisfied with my current tileset, but for all sake and purposes it gives my partner something to work with in the meantime. So to make sure we have what we need for the game I'm jumping back to working on our basic enemy character, the Inkling Pawn and concepting out it's close range attack. My partner says projectile attacks could have a lot more bugs to fix, so we're not gonna show the fireball just yet.

Here is a test for the Pawn's idle anim.

And here is the concept for close range.

Let me know what you think. I kind of like the arcing slam down hit for my taste (#1).

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 03:48:34 am
Did some work on my inkling during comiccon. Not the best work station, so it still needs some work but people seemed to dig it.

Starting the gauntlet attack.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 05:22:32 am
Pre-attack animation.

Attack

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:10:32 am by Bacrylic »

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:10 am
Oh, meet the newest member of the Inkling family. The Ambigross (name pending), our first rank 7 inkling.

Inklings are composed of drops of ink, books and sometimes random pages. The consistent feature is an ink drop as the mainbody, the rest is made up of droplets or solidified ink that has taken the form of punctuation or an actual line of text from the pages themselves, forming a figure. For instance, should a page have a line that says 'armor' the Inkling's body could be built out of armor, or have an attack involving armor.

The Ambigross is an Inkling that got a hold of a few extra dangerous pages. If he didn't already look tough, he's still holding a few surprises.     

Also our Knight Inkling.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:47:58 am by Bacrylic »

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 10:10:38 pm
After a work hiatus 'The Book of Alex' is going back in developement. Here is a promo piece I was working on for the occasion. Squaretale is back at it again.

Offline Bacrylic

• bacrylic
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 02:08:57 pm
Alex's updated attack combo.
Book Sword