AuthorTopic: Beginner! First time trying pixel art. Thoughts? (Pictures included)  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Krizpp

• View Profile
Hi there!

I've seen so much great pixel art for many years, and it has always motivated me to try, but I never did. So.. I decided to finally give it a go. I'd like some advice, tips and critique. This was my first day, and it's also my first time posting, so go easy on me. ;D

Here is a "Tower Defence" robot enemy with a hi-tech "pulsing" shield. (Self critique: I don't like my animation on the fire)
I've put my "save after save" so you can see my progress.

Turret Gun

Then after I did that, I made a front view version to keep consistency.

In the same session, I wanted to try something different.. I scribbled on the canvas and worked with what I could see.
And well.. I ended up seeing Kirby in a woolly hat, I found it funny, so I went with it. (Self critique: I think the hat's shape could make more sense)

Kirby Hat

After Kirby, I tried making a helmet for a knight, which didn't go so well, but I went through with it anyway.
Yes, I know the background looks terrible.

Knight Helm

I want to expand to environments as well as just simple character. If anyone can provide advice on expanding my work, please tell!

My work is clearly nothing compared to what inspires me, but what do you guys think of my work so far? Especially for day one!
  :D

Thanks,
Krizpp

Edit:

Just made a car. Name of the car? No clue.

Edit 2:

I made a Tetris "mock up" with a total of 22 colours. It took me longer than it should have. I really love the "GAME OVER" font with the colour. I had a lot of fun with that one.

Edit 3:

Had fun making a peaceful desert scene. Felt like it was too empty, ended up forcing it and now I have these terrible looking stairs. Still, I had fun. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:05:46 am by Krizpp »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: Beginner! First time trying pixel art. (Pictures included)

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:45:15 pm
Hey man,

Really good job for your first day. Some nice pixeling going on.

However, I'd try to refrain from dithering on objects that don't need it. For example, the wooly hat should be fluffy and smooth, not rough, which dithering makes it look like.

Try to limit the amount of colours you use as well. You have quite a lot on the green turret, and they're not really needed.

Don't be afraid to look at how other people do things you're trying to do.

eg.

Good examples of animated fire:

I'll try to do some edits of your pixel art tomorrow. Hopefully that'll make it clearer what I mean!

Keep up the good work!

Offline Krizpp

• View Profile

Re: Beginner! First time trying pixel art. (Pictures included)

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:44:22 pm
Hey man,

Really good job for your first day. Some nice pixeling going on.

However, I'd try to refrain from dithering on objects that don't need it. For example, the wooly hat should be fluffy and smooth, not rough, which dithering makes it look like.

Try to limit the amount of colours you use as well. You have quite a lot on the green turret, and they're not really needed.

Don't be afraid to look at how other people do things you're trying to do.

eg.

Good examples of animated fire:

I'll try to do some edits of your pixel art tomorrow. Hopefully that'll make it clearer what I mean!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the reply and advice. I won't be afraid to look at other's work - it's how I got inspired in the first place. :)

With the dithering on the woolly hat; it was meant to look knitted.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your edits of my sprites. It's great to be apart of this community.

Thanks,
Krizpp

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile
About the sprites ;D if i were you I could change this fire like how it grows and decreases. And this car remindes me the game called Hotline Miami ;D Lovely car but I think you could give this car a some shadows  ! , And this pet is nice one I don't know if I could even make it

I belive that this helmet will evolve to a Character ;3

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48008.htm
    • View Profile
Well I think you got a good start, the turret animation really looks nice.

I second on what Quake said about dithering and colors.

A place that often helps me especially with effects is saint11's patreon https://www.patreon.com/saint11

Other than that, I like to pratice separate subjects (example: metal, fire, explosions) before making something that uses these subjects (example: a Turret)   ;D

Hope this helps at least a little, and good luck pixelling! ;)
Bring it on!!

Offline Quake

• View Profile
I've done an edit of the turret. Not sure whether you were meant to do this, but each pixel was bigger than 1 pixel. So, I resized it by 50% to 64x64. Try not to make your sprites too big.

I did an edit a few weeks ago for someone elses car, but this may be useful for you too. On the left:

Offline Krizpp

• View Profile
I've done an edit of the turret. Not sure whether you were meant to do this, but each pixel was bigger than 1 pixel. So, I resized it by 50% to 64x64. Try not to make your sprites too big.

I did an edit a few weeks ago for someone elses car, but this may be useful for you too. On the left:

Great edits. I see what you mean with the colours on the turret.

Also, about the size of the pixels. I upscaled it because I thought it'd be too big for the post (it was my first post after all). Sorry if that caused you trouble. :D

The cars are nice, probably the level I want to get at. I wasn't really going for anything with the car- just messing around.

Thanks,
Krizpp