AuthorTopic: How Do you choose an art-style that fits your project?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Olivererkuk

• View Profile
Hi, Mine name is Oliver
I have been going around with some ideas, ideas that is about making a videogame. The day has come, and i wanted to get started. But to make it less of a stressed situation, i wanted to do some research on how my workflow could be most efficient. My question is. How do i pick an artstyle that fits well with my ideas, and visions. or with other words. How do i pick a style that fits well with me.

My game plan right now. is some kind of Top Down RPG. With MMO elements. the universe takes place in something that could look like old Eu, Kights n stuff.

To make myself clear. this is not a question about learning the basics of pixelart, or evolving my idea to something more manageable. But simply what workflow thats effecient, when laying the ground for a game

Thank you for taking the time reading this. :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: How Do you choose an art-style that fits your project?

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:44:25 pm
Building up a mental (or physical!) library of reference is very useful for this. When you play a lot of games, see a lot of art, etc, you build up a set of associations between different styles and traits of styles and the effects that they have, as well as what types of games they might be associated with and why. This knowledge will narrow down the field of styles that'll be effective for your project, and you can choose the most doable stuff from there. In addition, many genres have visual conventions that your game should probably also follow to make it easier for players to get into your game.

Some of the factors to consider when choosing an art style:

- What are the most important things in the visuals? Will the player be looking at/for things in the environment, or in the characters? For example, in fighting games, the characters are most important because you'll be looking at them to determine how to react to their moves, so the sprites are usually very big. In RPGs, the character sprites are usually small so that much more of the world can be seen, as a lot of the gameplay involves navigating the world. In addition to sizing, this will also affect where you put the detail.

- What is the mood you want to evoke? Chibi characters and pastel colours will probably feel out of place if you want a dark, moody feel to your game. Large character sprites don't really work if you want the player to feel insignificant in a grand world. A highly cartoony art style that reduces trees to green lollipops is probably not a good choice if you want to depict a world that feels real and mysterious.

- What are some of the key visuals in the game? For example, if you want a setting with a lot of mud (the GoT-style "Muddy Middle Ages" look), you'll want to look for a style that can depict mud effectively, as well as a muted colour palette. If you want a game that evokes the blocky look of Mayan art and architecture, then you'll probably want a blocky style. Let your key visuals influence the way everything else looks through either similarity or contrast.

- What do well-known games with similar stories and/or gameplay look like? You'll want to distinguish your game from them, as well as draw on their strengths and learn from their mistakes. Many players have visual expectations of certain genres that are informed by these popular games.

- What can you reasonably achieve? It makes no sense to go for a highly-detailed look where everything is animated if you're the sole artist and want to get the game done in under 15 years.

Offline Olivererkuk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:20:59 pm
Thank you very much for your time. means a lot that you sat down to exsplain these things.
you for sure made my brain go to work. and i have gotten a good ground to stand on, and a place to begin. Thank you.
its a hard and kinda lonly feeling to start these things up by yourself. and everything seems so big. So im glad you took the time to help out a bit.

- Oliver

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:34 am
One important factor I would add, is readability. It's a bad game when critical elements blend in the background (Green key in grass), are too small too be identified (is it an axeman or a macement? Friend or foe?).

If you show things from too close, the player doesn't have time to react when something enters the screen, or has trouble navigating the map as he doesn't see far enough.
If you show things from very far, small details become harder to recognize, it's a waste because a lot of what you see is too far to affect you anyway, and it's easier to see repetition in scenery (Because you'll probably use tiles).

You can always start by checking the size/scale used in known games, as good games have probably made right choices in this matter : for example you make an ARPG which "plays" as fast as Zelda3, the scale used in Zelda3 is suitable.