AuthorTopic: [urgent] graphicsgale .gal file issue  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

[urgent] graphicsgale .gal file issue

on: July 25, 2017, 07:26:53 pm
Hey, I'm currently doing some work on commission and my computer crashed. it seems to have corrupted the .gal file i was working on, as I can no longer open it in graphicsgale. This file has about 10 hours of work on it so I'd really really like to recover it. Have any of you encountered this problem before? I'll upload the file if any of you want to poke around with it.
file

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: [urgent] graphicsgale .gal file issue

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:44:00 pm
Looking at it in a hex editor, you can see this file is just 38 kB full of null bytes. Nothing that can be restored here, I'm afraid.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:32:32 pm
Also try checking "My Documents\GaleBackup" for previous versions.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:24:41 am
If you haven't written any files on that drive since the crash, the original data from a previous save of the file might still be on there somewhere, just not linked in the file allocation table anymore and thus would be invisible in the regular file manager. You could try a recovery tool, e.g. Directory Snoop ( https://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm ) to look for it. Just make sure to save/install the tool on a separate drive, so that you won't accidentally overwrite the clusters containing the unlinked/deleted file you're looking for.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 08:02:02 pm
@surt hey that was helpful.
My Documents\GaleBackup seems to have nearly everything I've ever done.  :o

Hope it works for you Tuna.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:15:52 am
Wow .. i did not know about the docs/gale folder either and the fact it backed up everything. Im sure this is in the docs somewhere but nice find anyway surt, thats some good piece of mind there.

I just wish gale would keep the native/editor file .gal after exporting png or other formats. I have lost a lot of work by forgetting to save progress as .gal after exporting pngs for a while. Sort of like what ps dose ,if you have an open psd and save it out as some other format, hitting the "save" after that will save the psd not the last exported format.

Anyway , cheers for the heads up on this, i found a bunch of things i "thought" i had lost.

Might be worth noting to folks who have not updated gale in a while that it has gone 100% freeware a few weeks ago, so you can now import and export gifs/vid to your hearts content
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:21:20 am by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 05:49:26 pm
Sort of like what ps dose ,if you have an open psd and save it out as some other format, hitting the "save" after that will save the psd not the last exported format.
For a long time, Photoshop has had a distinct "Save for web" menu, which means 'Save a copy as JPG/GIF/PNG, but keep working on my original 24bit multi-layer PSD'.
It's still available under File / Export / Save for web (legacy).

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:33:30 pm
@Tycho
Set some hotkeys.

For me I use:
End = Save As
Shift+End = Save As Copy

Save As Copy let's you save out a png or gif but keeps the window on the gal.

I never use Save and removed the hotkey for it.
That shit is dangerous.  :blind:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1