AuthorTopic: First thrust attack test  (Read 2552 times)

Offline abcnocturn

• View Profile

First thrust attack test

on: July 23, 2017, 01:27:23 pm
Hey guys,

this is my first sefl made mini animation.
Copied the second and  fourth frame for easyness ( whole thing took me 3 hours ... )

I use aseprite, can I change the speed of an export gif in it ?
Because it's a littlebit too fast ...

Any other tipps what I should change ?

Cheers !

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: First thrust attack test

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:00:46 pm
you can change the speed of a frame by right clicking and then going to properties or just double left-clicking.

Anyway here's my edit:

something very important that your animation is missing is anticipation, unless he's doing a stab, which uses a very light weapon. you're gonna need anticipation frames to show that he's actually thrusting something heavy.

After the anticipation comes the actual thrust: To really "sell" the motion of the thrust, I added a smear frame.

After this one I have your original frame that shows the audience what is actually going on. I usually have this frame on a lower speed, which makes it give more impact.

For the last frame I added a small remainder of the shield(?) so it doesn't look like it's not immediately erased from existence.

If I were you, I would leave the tail from the animation, its very distracting and doesn't add any good secondary motion. If you really wanna keep it, at least make it shorter so it isn't as confusing.
You get in the bowl

Offline abcnocturn

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:04:32 pm
you can change the speed of a frame by right clicking and then going to properties or just double left-clicking.

Thank you :D
Tried it and it works !

Anyway here's my edit:

something very important that your animation is missing is anticipation, unless he's doing a stab, which uses a very light weapon. you're gonna need anticipation frames to show that he's actually thrusting something heavy.

After the anticipation comes the actual thrust: To really "sell" the motion of the thrust, I added a smear frame.

After this one I have your original frame that shows the audience what is actually going on. I usually have this frame on a lower speed, which makes it give more impact.

For the last frame I added a small remainder of the shield(?) so it doesn't look like it's not immediately erased from existence.

If I were you, I would leave the tail from the animation, its very distracting and doesn't add any good secondary motion. If you really wanna keep it, at least make it shorter so it isn't as confusing.

Wow, thank you for the tipps!
It looks much better, a littlebit bouncy, but now I see what I'm missing. I wanted the second frame to be the anticipation, but I missed that totally I guess.
Btw., Valeera is a women with two daggers ^^
I tried to make a lightweight double swing motion.

The total motion I wanted to be:
 - standing
 - kneeing
 - thrust forward ( this frame is missing as anticipation frame I guess )
 - swing ( flashy lights :D
 - step back
 - REPEAT

Here is an original standing picture :

One more question, how long did it take you to make the changes :) ?
Just want to know how fast such things can be in the future to build ( at least in one year or so ^^ )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:07:35 pm by abcnocturn »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:43 am
You really need to make those daggers more readable, make them big, look how huge they are on the picture you showed.

I am not sure how long it took my, it didn't feel that long anyway like 10 minutes? All i did was use what you already have and stretch and squash it a bit, no clean up.
You get in the bowl

Offline abcnocturn

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:55:27 pm
Okay, I will try to make some characters in this style first :)
After that I will get back to animations :)

THX for your help mate !