AuthorTopic: How Much Does Animation Work Cost?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

How Much Does Animation Work Cost?

on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:39 am
I realize there's a post about pixel art job salary but it didn't really cover animation or cost per frame as animation is time consuming so if I was paying per hour it would get crazy expensive for me as I'm only looking to spend a max of 500$ on animation

In a few days I was going to make a post about hiring someone for animation and pay 8$ per frame and 4$ for similar animations (there just duplicated frames form the other animations just slightly different) there's 36 frames for 8$ which is 288$ plus the 45 frames for 4$ 180$, 468$ in all. The size is 52x86

But i get a feeling that's to low. I got a quote from someone on unity forums he offered 200$ for everything, but i don't think it would be the quality I'm looking for plus it would take a vary long time for it to be completed.

can someone give me a quote if they where working for me, per frame and per hour and how many hours it would take to finish it?

(sorry if i posted this in the wrong place I'm new)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: How Much Does Animation Work Cost?

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:12:34 am
I think it might be more fruitful to describe the scope of your project more. 500 for something like a complete walk sheet and various attack animations sounds good, but I don't know if that is what you're looking at.

If you're looking for something more complicated like a frame by frame animation, 500 migjt buy you ~two or three minutes, if you get lucky.

It's kinda hard to really tell without the full context, so I say just post and see of anyone bites.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:55 am
Its for a character in the style of Metroid the size is 52x86 10 main animations 5 of which are single frames and another 5 animations 4 are single frames.

The animations are simple just the generic run, jump, idle, attack ect. most of the animations are copied from the first set of animations. Example: in Metroid there are four run cycles all use the same frames from the main run cycle but the other three just move her right arm cannon in a different position for the rest of the animation.

the run would have 10 frames the rest are only a few or 1 frame

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:11:12 am
Then I'd say you should be fine. Make your listing lad, and lemme say I personally appreciate your efforts to make sure you're paying people right.

Good shit.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:27:57 am
Yeah $500 doesn't sound too far off for a decent artist, you'll certainly get offers. It's going to be different for each artist and each character but generally about half an hour to an hour per frame is going to be adequate. If it were me quoting this I'd probably be looking a little bit higher, around $750-$1000 but I personally only work by the hour because this kind of thing is so hard to estimate before you've started.

Good luck and I second MysteryMeat on saying the effort is appreciated ;D

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:01 pm
cool thanks :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:46:40 am
https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=23286.msg188677#msg188677

updated the whole guide / stickied answer in the job forums section (also with animations)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:03:08 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter