AuthorTopic: 24x24 Pixel Art Aspect Ratio?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Naufon

• View Profile

24x24 Pixel Art Aspect Ratio?

on: July 19, 2017, 12:56:34 am
I am trying to make a 24x24 grid top down RPG game for PC. I would like to do an aspect ratio of 16:9 but it seems like 24x24 pixel art doesn't go well into that. I don't want to do 16x16 as the quality is too low, and I wouldn't want to do 32x32 as the quality is too high.

Anyway, I have looked up countless tutorials on resolution, aspect ratio, and pixel art and yet I am still having a difficult time trying to find a good aspect ratio/resolution for 24x24 sprites. The standard for video games is a 16:9 so that's what I am trying to stick with but need some opinion and of which aspect ratio I should use in my case if not 16:9? Would an aspect ratio of 4:3 be best for 24x24? I am just pretty confused right now and I know people want full screen with high resolution support in today's world.

Another thing I am confused about is that my character sprite is 14x24. I plan on doing my tiles at 24x24 so should I  give my character sprite waste of space and make it 24x24 instead of 14x24? I know in a lot of pixel art games that characters wouldn't have the same width or height as other characters so I am kind of confused about that as well. I always thought you needed to stick to a grid setting with characters.

If anyone could answer these questions, I would highly appreciate it. Sorry if these questions are beginner-noob questions.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: 24x24 Pixel Art Aspect Ratio?

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:29:53 am
Have you tried gordian-knotting it with letterboxing? lock it to a more natural/easy to work with screen res then work the rest out as big black bars.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Naufon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:03:20 am
I am trying to avoid big black bars. Planning on releasing the game on Steam and big black bars I predict would be one of the complaints.  Another complaint I heard from someone else who released a game on steam is that his game didn't have 4k resolution support and so people were unhappy about that because that support was expected. Hmm, darn. I guess I could try doing 16x16 or 32x32 again to keep with 16:9. I just find that 16x16 isn't enough detail and 32x32 is too much in my opinion.

Thanks for answering though. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:05:39 am by Naufon »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:41:14 am
Ideally, your game should be able to fill any (reasonable) aspect ratio, whether it's 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4... This means accepting that sometimes, the screen won't contain a whole number of tiles and some tiles will be displayed partially. Depending on the gameplay, this might not be a problem at all (anything with a scrolling screen, e.g. platformers, RPGs), or it could be a huge problem (puzzle games relying on the grid). In the latter case, you can solve the problem by having a fixed size/ratio for the gameplay area, and a flexible frame around it that has other info and menus.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:44 am
I don't understand the connection between tile size and screen aspect ratio.
If you are concerned with tile scaling or fitting whole tiles then you need to be considering the screen resolution, not the aspect ratio.