AuthorTopic: F/A-63KI Tengriy II - Aircraft  (Read 3329 times)

Offline AC710N87

• View Profile

F/A-63KI Tengriy II - Aircraft

on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:39 am
Kind of a big one, and more appropriately line art... But, I've just started doing a lot more deeper things, more importantly dithering (this is my first pic in where I actually attempted it). I did a reasonable first attempt (except on the forward fuselage, forward of the canopy, where they're too different of colors, and thus a clear line exists). I didn't do any on the darker areas on the wing because I wanted that to stand out, but I did do basic dithering on the lighter areas on the rear fuselage, I wanted to do this to emphasize that the regions are raised and have it flow better or whatever.

And as for the dark background, I did that so it was a little easier to see the more minute details, and I like the darker colors because its easier to hide small mistakes in (hehe).

Anyways, some pointers or other critique would be nice for what I have done and what could also be done... Thanks.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: F/A-63KI Tengriy II - Aircraft

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:52:11 am
I don't really know anything about planes, so I couldn't tell you if there's anything off with the plane itself. But with the way it's been colored thus far, it looks like it's inside a dark hanger. If you plan to have this plane fly around in the sky, it'll need some highlights.
Also, the image looks pretty flat. Definetly needs shading and highlighting.

All n all, very nice design!

Offline AC710N87

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:22:40 am
Thanks for the comments, but yeah, this isn't going to be used for anything aside from a static picture for a fictional aircraft. And usually I've focused more on the lineart portion, than giving it actual depth or dimension... I'm just starting to consider it, but the furthest I've gotten so far is some minor attempts at shading or whatever. And yeah it is a dark image (I would've done a lighter gray, but I prefer to use black lines and so the disparity between the two is too great, although I could've gotten away with slighly lighter shades of gray on this, but oh well).  Lol, and yeah, once you pull your face back to a reasonable distance from the monitor, it gets pretty tough pretty quickly to see it (oops, another side effect from being so close to the monitor during those intense sessions, lol).

Anyways, thanks!

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:19:32 am
It might be easier to crit if you put it on a lighter background/made it transparent. Then we can see the edges a little more clearly. I know you want to see minute details but... I don't think it really benefits the piece. And small mistakes are... just that, small mistakes. You can fix them and it's worth it.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 11:23:12 am
It's really dark with low contrast. Maybe your monitor needs to be adjusted? The lineart is really solid, but the shading just needs so much more work. I dont like how you've mirrored the shading, you should decide on a lightsource and work off that.

It really depends how far you want to go with the pic, if the linart is your main objective, then...well I don't know how much more you really need to do.