AuthorTopic: I need some help  (Read 19280 times)

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: I need some help

Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 03:59:30 am
thanks for the info so far guys.  I tired out a stance like pawige's...however it didnt turn out, so I closed it.  I think that may be a bit too advanced for my game though.
ill figure something out, or if anyone has any suggestions for someone holding a gun and a sword? thanks again.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 05:57:22 am
The run animation looks great, I think the highlighting on the shoe as it goes up might be a bit extreme. The edit helm provided for the shooting animation shows a lot of improvement, however the pose isn't typical of someone firing a gun. as its a stationary shooting pose I would think that he would be poised more side on with his other arm up resting the gun for accuracy. Alternatively you could take another look at this wonderful piece http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2348.0 the problem with using that as reference is that in Pawige's the hand that you are using as free is not if you add a sword however...

In regards to adding a sword if you chose it to be in hand at all times then it can act as a weight, or he can sling it over his shoulder whilst shooting. Both these poses are good and convey the swords weight. If not in hand place it on his back/hip to support it and do the first pose i brought up, if this is the case you may alternate between running frames with the sword out or gun out. Flashback is good reference as it has no significant highlighting, adding lighting is often where animations get to look choppy if not done right so it is important to get the poses and flat 'mask' of the animation right. Hope i have been a help good luck with this piece.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 09:15:08 am
Helm you are quite right.  After doing an extensive sprite search a number of places posted that the game used vector art making it difficult to rip.  It definately was rotoscoped at 25fps! but vector art was definately used in the cut scenes if not the main sprite. 

The rose tints were fond old memories which had been warped somewhat, i'd forgotten that the character didn't have shading etc, plus the poor quality of that rip.

Joseph this link might be good to look at the two gun holding positions suggested http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42321671/

(Paul Roberston's)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 09:36:38 am
SNES version of Flashback has a shaded main sprite, for what it's worth.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:58 pm
joseph.

The end result hasn't turned out too badly. it moves, it looks like a walk and all that but can I give you a few pointers to try and improve your method of animating?

1. Buy the book I refer to in my signiture if you really want to animate with ease and understanding
2. Read it.

Failing that here's a quick snapshot of what you need to be thinking about...

1. Movements in walks (or any animated sequence)  is more than 'just' the legs and arms, bending and flexing in opposition to each other, you have to think about the whole of the body and how each limb connects to the thorax and how the movement affects the balance (of the figure) and how it READS to the veiwer (silohettes [I'm looking at the sword guy here...)... The Head is another crucial frame of reference - how it moves in and out as the arms roll forwards and backward.
    a. consider for example - the shoulders, and how they open and close as the arms move back and forward
    b. consider - thehips and how they rotate and pitch and roll as the legs open and close
    c. consider - the relationship between the shoulders and hips and the twist that coils and uncoils throughout the movement

2. Keyframing, Tweens and working in 'twos' or 'threes' -  and TIMING - When you begin to make your character move work in rough.
   a. start with the 2 'extremes' (these are the frames where the left foot and right foot are at there most open [i.e. the full stride]) - sketch it dynamically... make it look powerful or tentative or whatever mood you're trying to convey.

b. then move to the 2 'CROSSOVER' frames - (the frames where 1 foot is firmly planted and the other is bent and passing 'through' the other) the legs make a kind of shape like the number 4 [think about it] - you can mess with these crossover frames to give different overall 'vibe' to the animation (see the book) - but you're basically doing the same as the extremes...

c. for all keyframes described here you should consider the MASS of each shape, be it a foot, a calf, a knee, a thigh, a belly, a chest, a hand, a forearm, a wrist, an upper arm, the shoulder mass, the head mass - when I say MASS I'm talking about the VOLUME of that form... if you want convincing movement that doesn't distort over time then the volume should remain consistent - you can alter it's shape and scale according to style (stretch and squash) but the VOLUME would remain the same

d. once you have your keyframes nailed - you can then start the TWEENS... this is where you overlay the frames ontop of each other and begin making marks to determine center points of swings or arcs of movement of the limbs - again, take each one at a time... think in terms of a pendulum... and time and how to achieve 'ease in' and 'ease out' of movement over the frames... Ideally - you should begin with 'just' marking the center points for now and experiment with different postiions along the arcs when you get more experience.

e. finally, once you have a straight forward 8 frame loop that's moving nicely, fluidly, but perhaps a little stiff? or evenly timed? This is where you can then go and add more frames and 'just' tweak those extreme frames a touch, adding a bit of 'over-reach' and 'break the joints' to give more 'snap' to the movement... as well as breaking the timing of the movement so you get ease in and out on the arcs movement (think about a pendulum)

------------------------------------
Here's a popeye sample from a sequences I knocked up when I first joined this forum - this sequence was made in this manner described above and took me about 1 hour to complete. (I'm not blowing my trumpet here as I know the sequence is less than perfect but i'm just trying to illustrate that once you have a process and understand form and mass then you can knock out stuff relatively quickly) - I also did a clever trick by combining the overeach into the tween thus reducing frames to 6... there's also example of 'crossover motion' and 'sine wave' motion (on the neckerchief) - again... important if you want to achieve good movement across a sequence...

--------------------------------------
<Disclaimer> - I'm aware this sequence uses 'selout' (or whatever the hell you guys call it) - but from my POV when needing to develop LOTS of frames for stuff then it's a great process, like it or not it's my preferred method because it's quick!
<disclaimer 2> apparently it's not selout... hmmm... my understanding of the term is obviously incorrect... Ptoings helped me out here... ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:33:45 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 07:18:34 am
Wow baccaman21!
I would buy you big ice-cream if you were in my town for this!
Seriously thanks for your time!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 08:58:00 am
Nice walking sprite, Joseph. I can see it's come a long way! And you're very good at shading and toning.

And Most awesome animated Popeye Sprite, Baccaman! It looks sooo good! I'm most impressed!
And your tutorial is really good! I learned some new things from it myself. heh