AuthorTopic: About Posted Pixel-art Copyright  (Read 2702 times)

Offline B-Rokal

• I'll Cross-stitch for food
    • View Profile

About Posted Pixel-art Copyright

on: July 09, 2017, 07:18:52 pm
Well, I have a kind of important question

I'm making a game and have posted some pieces to get feedback, but our marketing guy told me to stop posting our stuff on the internet to prevent a potential design and art stealing.

I then wondered, is it unsafe to upload assets from our game on this forum to receive feedback? if so, what should I do to get criticism safely?

In case is not a problem to post our pixel art here, how can you assure me that? is there any policy or law on this forums that prevent stealing?

Thank you, also, I want to check the terms of agreement of this forum once more to make sure I didn't missed anything regarding this topic, THANKS!  ;D

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: About Posted Pixel-art Copyright

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:23:34 pm
It's really not a huge problem, no. There's been one or two people caught out selling other people's work but it's never worked out well for the thief.

Art theft is absolutely deplorable but I wouldn't get too upset if it happens, especially with in-game spritework.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:35:04 pm
There's no way to prevent theft that doesn't also damage your ability to get feedback on your art. I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks with pixel art, because there aren't many commercially damaging ways for it to get stolen.

Art theft in video games doesn't tend to end well for the thieves, because people on the Internet are scarily good at spotting theft, even when the artist whose work was stolen isn't very well-known.

If posting your art on a public forum makes you or your company uncomfortable, you could try more private spaces, like Pixelation's Slack server, or over private chat with friends you make on forums like this. You could also delete the art from your thread after you've gotten the feedback you need - sure, it's probably still available somewhere, but the kinds of people who are too lazy to do their own art are usually too lazy to go digging for deleted images, too.

This is tangential, but how is it that your job has a marketing guy, but doesn't have you under NDA? Companies usually master the art of the NDA long before they can afford marketing people.

Offline B-Rokal

• I'll Cross-stitch for food
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:08 pm
Ah, 'bout the "marketing guy", we're not a high budget business, we are just 4 people, I called him like so because he is the one in charge of marketing (i'm not actually sure if he knows about this NDA stuff).

In any case, thanks for the information, i'm gonna talk with my partners about this new options (I got scolded in an almost daily basis anyway :'( :ouch:).

however... let's say I upload some stuff to this forum BUT the thief uses it before I release the product, leaving the game being published AFTER the thief did use the stolen pixel art, is it possible to us to end being "technically" the thiefs?

I'm so thankful, I really REALLY want to share my stuff with you guys, but i don't want my work to end unusable  :( :( :(

EDIT: Btw... how do I enter the slack server? like... is there any requisite or something?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:58:58 pm by B-Rokal »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:19 am
You are the owner of the work even if they get it to market first, no worries there. Keeping the original work on a public forum is actually really good for this because it provides an independent date on the posting. The worst thing in that situation is that your audience might think you're the thief, but it's quite possible to spin that into positive PR for your game - after all, you'd be the victim, not the thief. If your feedback thread is still public, you'll have the evidence on your side.

As for the Slack, here's the sticky thread about it. I don't use Slack so I can't help you further. I don't know how active it is.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:13 am
pm pixelpiledriver he should be able to get you in, it is very active about stuff