AuthorTopic: [WIP][CC] Mechanic Giant Squirrel  (Read 3084 times)

Offline B-Rokal

• I'll Cross-stitch for food
    • View Profile

[WIP][CC] Mechanic Giant Squirrel

on: July 09, 2017, 01:05:15 am
Ok! I also have this one, is a (kind of) WIP of a Boss from our game.

I'd REALLY appreciate feedback, I'm almost completely sure this one is lacking something (some friends of mine have said it looks "lifeless" and i really cannot tell why).

Thank you a lot!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP][CC] Mechanic Giant Squirrel

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:04:04 am
You gotta vary your Palette More!
The solid gold look of it is mechanical for sure but it doesn't drive the eye anywhere around the design!
Try including more firey reds or sinister grey/purples, play with the colors till you have proper MENACE (or whatever impression you're shooting for)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:56:01 am
You gotta vary your Palette More!
The solid gold look of it is mechanical for sure but it doesn't drive the eye anywhere around the design!
Try including more firey reds or sinister grey/purples, play with the colors till you have proper MENACE (or whatever impression you're shooting for)

Wow, THANK YOU A LOT for the Info :) some comments about the technique? like... the shading, traces or style in general used in this piece is ok?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:31:01 am
Hmmm... I'd say the hairy shading on the tail isn't working out too well. In general I'd reduce some of the rust/brushed-metal texture along the whole thing and make it a more patched in thing, but I'd need to know what it looks like in-game before I say for sure.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:36:50 am
Edit:
This is some really solid sprite work, I just think your colours aren't making it look that metallic. Metal has heavy contrast, so thats what i tried to do in my edit. You can also see that on the grey arm, I added much more colours, that's cause grey is a really boring shade, you wan't to mix it up by adding some blue and purple.
You get in the bowl

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:51:56 am
Edit:
This is some really solid sprite work, I just think your colours aren't making it look that metallic. Metal has heavy contrast, so thats what i tried to do in my edit. You can also see that on the grey arm, I added much more colours, that's cause grey is a really boring shade, you wan't to mix it up by adding some blue and purple.

Dunno on this one tbh, still a neat alternative, i'll try it, THANKS A LOT  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 04:09:02 am
Looks wicked!  Only thing I see that is iffy is the variation of colors.  Your gold material is consistent throughout, but every other material seems to only be used once.  I count 6 of them.  Try reducing that count to 3-4, reusing say the 'granite' material where the blue is on the gun.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:35:29 am
Looks wicked!  Only thing I see that is iffy is the variation of colors.  Your gold material is consistent throughout, but every other material seems to only be used once.  I count 6 of them.  Try reducing that count to 3-4, reusing say the 'granite' material where the blue is on the gun.

Thanks for the advise, I just have one question, what do you mean by "wicked"? is that a compliment or...

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:14:36 am

Thanks for the advise, I just have one question, what do you mean by "wicked"? is that a compliment or...

It's American slang. Means "cool".