AuthorTopic: Flourish Animation  (Read 29589 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Flourish Animation

Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 06:01:40 am

Touched up the first two and added a new one.  Not sure on the shirt/body type.  He's supposed to be a bit more muscular, but I'm not sure how much of that would be visible through the shirt.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:59 pm
He doesn't look muscular at all, just due to the shape of the body - the arms are very thin and uniform in width, and the torso is very thin and flat, there's no sense that there's any muscle there. Consider drawing the body naked first, then put the clothes over it. The clothes will smooth over the details, but they won't reduce the size of the body.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:09 pm

You typically don't retain the same silhouette when becoming (what is generally seen as) more muscular. Broader shoulders > Wider chest > More visible lats etc.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:19 pm

You typically don't retain the same silhouette when becoming (what is generally seen as) more muscular. Broader shoulders > Wider chest > More visible lats etc.

Was heading that direction and was about to post right a new version before I saw this.  Thanks, DesignDoll.  :p

Beefed up, but lowered the exaggeration a bit.  Chest is broader, harshened the shading, and beefed up the legs. 
I can help but feel the wrist area looks too small compared to the rest of the arm...  I tried a few things, but it didn't do anywhere.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 11:58:37 pm

Managed to throw this together in about two hours.  Only thing I'm iffy on is how the ball bounces at the end.  I want it to plink off like a billiard ball hitting an edge, but I don't think I quite got it right.  I'm really satisfied with the motion and the coat falling down slowly. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #55 on: September 27, 2018, 09:52:43 am
feels like smoke because the trail is too thick after the bounce and it sticks around too long after

try dropping a frame
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #56 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:59 pm

Managed to throw this together in about two hours.  Only thing I'm iffy on is how the ball bounces at the end.  I want it to plink off like a billiard ball hitting an edge, but I don't think I quite got it right.  I'm really satisfied with the motion and the coat falling down slowly.

It's SASUKE!! D: D:

Lol -- jk :)

In seriousness though -- for the "plink" billard-ball thing, try shifting the ball in the *opposite* direction slowly first, rather than toward the direction it will be headed to "plink" off the ground.

Also, the ball "blur" should overlap the visible ball a bit more before it "stretches" to the ground (and maybe make that "stretch"/"blur" touch the ground in a single frame before the "bounce" frame to show hit has the kind of "hard-metal-ball-hitting-hard-metal-floor" that it looks like you're going for.

The green "string" you've got going on there should probably appear after the "bounce" (if he's putting it back into his pocket) and should act like a "sling" that released the metal ball and "pops back" a moment (to show the "release" of force) and create some recoil in the "visually-important" part your animation (that is, the act of the ball being released at a supercharged rate of speed into a bounce.) A "floppy" frame or two for the green string isn't a bad idea, as the bouncing of the ball could (and should) likely be happening in 2 frames anyway (which includes the initial release of force following the initial stretch of the green string.)

Again -- after the "plink" bounce, the "plink" blur should be NO MORE than 1 (2 frames MAX) if you want to keep the speed looking consistent (and fast). That third "small" blur frame just acts as a "slowdown" frame, which I really doubt you want.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:49 pm

It's SASUKE!! D: D:

Lol -- jk :)

I want to point out that I have uploaded an animation of this character before :p

The string is magic, but I did realize it just disappears once the ball hit the ground.  I made it get sort of overdrawn and pull back towards the hand once the ball releases.  I still feel like the ball needs one more frame after it hits the ground, but I couldn't come up with anything that looked right or didn't make it seem slower.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #58 on: September 29, 2018, 06:21:01 am

some timing changes and a bunch of changes to the elastic band/bounce to add impact and a bit of elasticity to the string.

Notably, I deleted a couple frames and made the motion blur thinner/shorter.

I also gave the ball a bit of a mid-air bounce for when the string attaches and starts to pull on it, not terribly realistic but adds a bit of a better "beat" to it.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: September 29, 2018, 07:25:29 pm

I like the thinner blur and the ball impact, but I have to disagree on removing the frames where the ball is catching up to the motion.  Cutting those eliminates the actual elasticity I was going for, and you also cut the impact frames that add the secondary motion in the pants and jacket.  I want the string to take a second to realize it's being pulled all the way, and then for it to catch up with the ball.  I feel like only having on frame hand slows it down and doesn't convey that it's being pulled/why bother with that frame at all.