AuthorTopic: Flourish Animation  (Read 29582 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Flourish Animation

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:03 am
What's a good program to copy and paste frames into?
https://graphicsgale.com/us/
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:44 pm

Going to take some getting used to, but thanks! 

I felt the legs weren't long enough, so I went ahead and lengthened them a bit.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:54 am
She loses all kinds of volume when she bends down into the attack, almost like she turns into a mini-me.

Also she lacks anticipation before she moves her right hand to strike.

It would read better, I feel, if you gave her some counter-balance, such as putting her left arm out at a diagonal that crosses her torso in the previous frames (to show some overlapping-action) as well as emphasize her knees and legs more (give her hair more volume too).

She's a really tall babe and yet, somehow, she loses all of that when she dips down into the attack. Her front leg and back leg proportions are just waaay off and I feel she should be leaning way farther forward and stepping way farther out than she currently is. Push and exaggerate the figure. Take a look at Street Fighter Alpha 3's animations of Chun-Li -- they push her much farther than the body really can go, but it looks great because there's a lot of "snap" to the body when it pops back into proper proportions.

Just something to think about.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 04:47:13 am
She loses all kinds of volume when she bends down into the attack, almost like she turns into a mini-me.

Also she lacks anticipation before she moves her right hand to strike.

It would read better, I feel, if you gave her some counter-balance, such as putting her left arm out at a diagonal that crosses her torso in the previous frames (to show some overlapping-action) as well as emphasize her knees and legs more (give her hair more volume too).

She's a really tall babe and yet, somehow, she loses all of that when she dips down into the attack. Her front leg and back leg proportions are just waaay off and I feel she should be leaning way farther forward and stepping way farther out than she currently is. Push and exaggerate the figure. Take a look at Street Fighter Alpha 3's animations of Chun-Li -- they push her much farther than the body really can go, but it looks great because there's a lot of "snap" to the body when it pops back into proper proportions.

Just something to think about.

Would you mind clarifying which the bit about the arms?  I'm not sure if it's her left/right or ours, and the crossing the torso bit.  The rest I can hopefully start working on.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 04:30:03 pm
Sure, I meant (her) left arm (behind her hair, I'm assuming it is) should be extended to add a little more overlapping and dynamism to the pose if it crosses her hair (let it extend a little more horizontally than diagonally though). This will emphasize the lengthyness of her body as it leans forward to strike and make the action feel a little more punchy at the same time as fixing the silhouette to be more than just a blob.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 02:26:10 am

Added a bit of lead up on her hand, lengthened her legs a bit, and messed with her hair. 

I'm still not sure how GraphicsGale's animation thing works... I've read it requires the full version, but that info all comes from ancient posts.  This was made using https://ezgif.com/maker, and it's far less intuitive than copy and pasting the frames like with Beneton.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 12:25:35 am
I'm still not sure how GraphicsGale's animation thing works.
Which part?
Feel free to ask whatever.

I've read it requires the full version, but that info all comes from ancient posts.
Yep, that's all old and irrelevant info.
It used to be the only feature locked in GG was the ability to save gif files.
But it's free now.

Nice improvements to the pose and action.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 05:00:08 am

Okay, managed to do it.  I was having trouble adding frames, but I guess you can't do that when something is selected?  And I have to specify frame by frame on speed and size? 

Going to take some getting used to, but I'll manage.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:56:35 am

Part one of this animation.  This was my initial concept, but it ended up a bit too simple, so I'll add on to it once as I finish it.

The idea is she's placing down a wind rune, which is why there's so much movement in her hair and shirt. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:48 am

Went ahead and finished it.  The transition back is a bit lazy, but I think it gets the point across well enough.