AuthorTopic: Flourish Animation  (Read 29590 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Flourish Animation

on: July 08, 2017, 03:10:34 am

Felt like making something with a coat flow and a lot of secondary animation for the fun of it, and wound up with this.  The coat itself is heavily based on Q from Third Strike, but otherwise this was just me playing around.  I think the end could have a better transition to the base clothes, but nothing I was trying was working.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Flourish Animation

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:02:10 am
This is looking really good. Has nice timing and punchyness in the right places, which I felt your previous animation has lacked.

Only thing I really have to comment on is to watch your volumes and proportions. The arms on the blue jacket are very short and the bent arm on the red shirt is very long. The knee is also placed a bit higher on the leg than I think would be accurate. His hair really creeps down and envelops his head when he crouches down, doesn't really look like he's looking at the ground.

The amount of upwards momentum on the coat compared to the drawstrings is a bit off. I'd like to see the coat rise up a bit higher, really balloon out behind his shoulders. Alternately you could just tone down the upwards movement on the drawstrings, depends on how "big" you want the animation to feel.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:18:52 am
This is looking really good. Has nice timing and punchyness in the right places, which I felt your previous animation has lacked.

Only thing I really have to comment on is to watch your volumes and proportions. The arms on the blue jacket are very short and the bent arm on the red shirt is very long. The knee is also placed a bit higher on the leg than I think would be accurate. His hair really creeps down and envelops his head when he crouches down, doesn't really look like he's looking at the ground.

The amount of upwards momentum on the coat compared to the drawstrings is a bit off. I'd like to see the coat rise up a bit higher, really balloon out behind his shoulders. Alternately you could just tone down the upwards movement on the drawstrings, depends on how "big" you want the animation to feel.

Wouldn't the jacket not have as great as of an effect compared to the drawstrings?  The jacket back would be a lot heavier than the drawstrings comparatively, at least I would think. 

This is what I made addressing the other issues, and I can rework the jacket a bit later.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:52:27 am
well all forces being equal yes but if you're standing up and flaring your arms out you might expect to sweep up the jacket, but there's no real force being applied to the drawstrings. Really though it's all about how it looks and how it feels and how it feels to me is that the drawstrings are floating up on their own. Which if you want it to feel like there's kind of an upwards gust of wind you might want to add onto the jacket. Same applies to the hair as to the drawstrings.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:12:43 pm
well all forces being equal yes but if you're standing up and flaring your arms out you might expect to sweep up the jacket, but there's no real force being applied to the drawstrings. Really though it's all about how it looks and how it feels and how it feels to me is that the drawstrings are floating up on their own. Which if you want it to feel like there's kind of an upwards gust of wind you might want to add onto the jacket. Same applies to the hair as to the drawstrings.

The intention was to that changing clothes using magic creates a gust of witch upwards, which is what sends the jacket, drawstrings, and hair up, the jacket not as much due to the weight. I could probably make that more clear.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:49:36 am
Well you can always make an argument one way or the other about what would happen under "real" physics but ultimately animation is all about exaggeration. I think the way the hair and the drawstrings hang at the top of their motion is really pleasing, would just be nice to bring that into the coat, has a very magical feeling.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:09 am
Well you can always make an argument one way or the other about what would happen under "real" physics but ultimately animation is all about exaggeration. I think the way the hair and the drawstrings hang at the top of their motion is really pleasing, would just be nice to bring that into the coat, has a very magical feeling.

That makes sense.  Messed around with it and wound up with this.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:30:21 am

Another animation with the intent more just to show off and transition into a new outfit.  The legs and the effect to change feel like they're lacking a bit, but I think I did pretty good making her look cutesy.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:27:03 am

Rainbowsss.

This feels like it may be a bit harsh, but I think it actually looks right.  Could probably use some extra oomph, though.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:45 pm

Decided to try and animate an attack, and wound up with this.  She's supposed to be rolling a ball of lightning forward like a wheel.

Also, I had to reset some things on my computer, and I lost the program I was using to save my animations, Beneton GIF maker.  I downloaded it way back when and have been using it forever, but now it seems to be broken when I redownload it.  What's a good program to copy and paste frames into?  I had to save this one with each frame as a single image and then use an online tool to stitch them together, and I'd prefer to not have to do that every time I want to save something.