AuthorTopic: Flourish Animation  (Read 29595 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Flourish Animation

on: July 08, 2017, 03:10:34 am

Felt like making something with a coat flow and a lot of secondary animation for the fun of it, and wound up with this.  The coat itself is heavily based on Q from Third Strike, but otherwise this was just me playing around.  I think the end could have a better transition to the base clothes, but nothing I was trying was working.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Flourish Animation

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:02:10 am
This is looking really good. Has nice timing and punchyness in the right places, which I felt your previous animation has lacked.

Only thing I really have to comment on is to watch your volumes and proportions. The arms on the blue jacket are very short and the bent arm on the red shirt is very long. The knee is also placed a bit higher on the leg than I think would be accurate. His hair really creeps down and envelops his head when he crouches down, doesn't really look like he's looking at the ground.

The amount of upwards momentum on the coat compared to the drawstrings is a bit off. I'd like to see the coat rise up a bit higher, really balloon out behind his shoulders. Alternately you could just tone down the upwards movement on the drawstrings, depends on how "big" you want the animation to feel.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:18:52 am
This is looking really good. Has nice timing and punchyness in the right places, which I felt your previous animation has lacked.

Only thing I really have to comment on is to watch your volumes and proportions. The arms on the blue jacket are very short and the bent arm on the red shirt is very long. The knee is also placed a bit higher on the leg than I think would be accurate. His hair really creeps down and envelops his head when he crouches down, doesn't really look like he's looking at the ground.

The amount of upwards momentum on the coat compared to the drawstrings is a bit off. I'd like to see the coat rise up a bit higher, really balloon out behind his shoulders. Alternately you could just tone down the upwards movement on the drawstrings, depends on how "big" you want the animation to feel.

Wouldn't the jacket not have as great as of an effect compared to the drawstrings?  The jacket back would be a lot heavier than the drawstrings comparatively, at least I would think. 

This is what I made addressing the other issues, and I can rework the jacket a bit later.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:52:27 am
well all forces being equal yes but if you're standing up and flaring your arms out you might expect to sweep up the jacket, but there's no real force being applied to the drawstrings. Really though it's all about how it looks and how it feels and how it feels to me is that the drawstrings are floating up on their own. Which if you want it to feel like there's kind of an upwards gust of wind you might want to add onto the jacket. Same applies to the hair as to the drawstrings.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:12:43 pm
well all forces being equal yes but if you're standing up and flaring your arms out you might expect to sweep up the jacket, but there's no real force being applied to the drawstrings. Really though it's all about how it looks and how it feels and how it feels to me is that the drawstrings are floating up on their own. Which if you want it to feel like there's kind of an upwards gust of wind you might want to add onto the jacket. Same applies to the hair as to the drawstrings.

The intention was to that changing clothes using magic creates a gust of witch upwards, which is what sends the jacket, drawstrings, and hair up, the jacket not as much due to the weight. I could probably make that more clear.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:49:36 am
Well you can always make an argument one way or the other about what would happen under "real" physics but ultimately animation is all about exaggeration. I think the way the hair and the drawstrings hang at the top of their motion is really pleasing, would just be nice to bring that into the coat, has a very magical feeling.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:09 am
Well you can always make an argument one way or the other about what would happen under "real" physics but ultimately animation is all about exaggeration. I think the way the hair and the drawstrings hang at the top of their motion is really pleasing, would just be nice to bring that into the coat, has a very magical feeling.

That makes sense.  Messed around with it and wound up with this.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:30:21 am

Another animation with the intent more just to show off and transition into a new outfit.  The legs and the effect to change feel like they're lacking a bit, but I think I did pretty good making her look cutesy.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:27:03 am

Rainbowsss.

This feels like it may be a bit harsh, but I think it actually looks right.  Could probably use some extra oomph, though.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:45 pm

Decided to try and animate an attack, and wound up with this.  She's supposed to be rolling a ball of lightning forward like a wheel.

Also, I had to reset some things on my computer, and I lost the program I was using to save my animations, Beneton GIF maker.  I downloaded it way back when and have been using it forever, but now it seems to be broken when I redownload it.  What's a good program to copy and paste frames into?  I had to save this one with each frame as a single image and then use an online tool to stitch them together, and I'd prefer to not have to do that every time I want to save something.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:03 am
What's a good program to copy and paste frames into?
https://graphicsgale.com/us/
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:44 pm

Going to take some getting used to, but thanks! 

I felt the legs weren't long enough, so I went ahead and lengthened them a bit.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:54 am
She loses all kinds of volume when she bends down into the attack, almost like she turns into a mini-me.

Also she lacks anticipation before she moves her right hand to strike.

It would read better, I feel, if you gave her some counter-balance, such as putting her left arm out at a diagonal that crosses her torso in the previous frames (to show some overlapping-action) as well as emphasize her knees and legs more (give her hair more volume too).

She's a really tall babe and yet, somehow, she loses all of that when she dips down into the attack. Her front leg and back leg proportions are just waaay off and I feel she should be leaning way farther forward and stepping way farther out than she currently is. Push and exaggerate the figure. Take a look at Street Fighter Alpha 3's animations of Chun-Li -- they push her much farther than the body really can go, but it looks great because there's a lot of "snap" to the body when it pops back into proper proportions.

Just something to think about.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 04:47:13 am
She loses all kinds of volume when she bends down into the attack, almost like she turns into a mini-me.

Also she lacks anticipation before she moves her right hand to strike.

It would read better, I feel, if you gave her some counter-balance, such as putting her left arm out at a diagonal that crosses her torso in the previous frames (to show some overlapping-action) as well as emphasize her knees and legs more (give her hair more volume too).

She's a really tall babe and yet, somehow, she loses all of that when she dips down into the attack. Her front leg and back leg proportions are just waaay off and I feel she should be leaning way farther forward and stepping way farther out than she currently is. Push and exaggerate the figure. Take a look at Street Fighter Alpha 3's animations of Chun-Li -- they push her much farther than the body really can go, but it looks great because there's a lot of "snap" to the body when it pops back into proper proportions.

Just something to think about.

Would you mind clarifying which the bit about the arms?  I'm not sure if it's her left/right or ours, and the crossing the torso bit.  The rest I can hopefully start working on.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 04:30:03 pm
Sure, I meant (her) left arm (behind her hair, I'm assuming it is) should be extended to add a little more overlapping and dynamism to the pose if it crosses her hair (let it extend a little more horizontally than diagonally though). This will emphasize the lengthyness of her body as it leans forward to strike and make the action feel a little more punchy at the same time as fixing the silhouette to be more than just a blob.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 02:26:10 am

Added a bit of lead up on her hand, lengthened her legs a bit, and messed with her hair. 

I'm still not sure how GraphicsGale's animation thing works... I've read it requires the full version, but that info all comes from ancient posts.  This was made using https://ezgif.com/maker, and it's far less intuitive than copy and pasting the frames like with Beneton.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 12:25:35 am
I'm still not sure how GraphicsGale's animation thing works.
Which part?
Feel free to ask whatever.

I've read it requires the full version, but that info all comes from ancient posts.
Yep, that's all old and irrelevant info.
It used to be the only feature locked in GG was the ability to save gif files.
But it's free now.

Nice improvements to the pose and action.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 05:00:08 am

Okay, managed to do it.  I was having trouble adding frames, but I guess you can't do that when something is selected?  And I have to specify frame by frame on speed and size? 

Going to take some getting used to, but I'll manage.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:56:35 am

Part one of this animation.  This was my initial concept, but it ended up a bit too simple, so I'll add on to it once as I finish it.

The idea is she's placing down a wind rune, which is why there's so much movement in her hair and shirt. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:48 am

Went ahead and finished it.  The transition back is a bit lazy, but I think it gets the point across well enough. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:26 am

First part with the coin flip might need some work, but I'm pretty happy with how I managed to put my concept into action.  Weird thing, though; as is evident, his belt disappears, and that's totally a GraphicsGale thing.  I was literally pasting the frames from my other program, and they were pasting something different, and I don't know why, nor why it's a minor change with just the belt area.  Is this a color thing?  It's not even posting the right ones when I try again.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:07 pm
Graphics gale is pretty strange with the way it imports colors. If the belt could have been made accidentally 2 different colors, and thus graphics gale ended up erasing parts of the white it thought it could with gray. It auto adjusts colors to fit the gif's palette. If that makes sense.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 05:53:07 am

Managed to work around it by resaving it?  Not sure how that works.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:54 am

Somehow this started as a three hit combo, but we ended up with magic circles. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 01:27:56 am

Realized that he attacks with the wrong arm, so I fixed that, plus actually went ahead and made the three hit combo.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 01:52:14 am

Been a while since I made anything I really wanted critique on... 

Basically, think magic boxing gloves.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 04:37:03 am
It's a good start but you should study some actual boxers for this! (or, alternatively, punch out!)

Of note is how her feet stay perhaps too static during the crouch, a lot of the power in a good punch comes more from the legs and hips and without proper movement there it's making her final windup smack feel a bit... piffy.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 05:40:01 am
It's a good start but you should study some actual boxers for this! (or, alternatively, punch out!)

Of note is how her feet stay perhaps too static during the crouch, a lot of the power in a good punch comes more from the legs and hips and without proper movement there it's making her final windup smack feel a bit... piffy.

She's not an actual boxer; the idea is that she's creating boxing gloves for extra damage/protection.  Still, yeah, legs weren't were they should have been.  The original concept was also more of a burst rather than just another punch, and then an elbow, but neither worked, so I just changed it altogether.

https://struz.github.io/smash-move-viewer/#/v1/szerosuit/AttackHi4/1?showAllMoves=true
I based it on Zero Suit Samus' Up Smash.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:00 am

A mix of Cloud's Down Smash (Oddly enough) and Jin Saotome's Blodia Punch from MVC.

Effect I'm not super pleased with.  I feel like the punch lacks the force I want; it's supposed to be, "This is going to kill you," as opposed to a hard hit. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 08:31:33 am

Had the image of roundhousing a sword for a while and decided to make it a reality.  I feel like I'm either missing or have one too many frames, but I can't figure out which or which frame.  I'm also not 100% on the effect of the sword, but I couldn't think of a better sliding sort of look.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:44 pm
remove ine frame of the turn I'd say

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 09:09:55 pm

Romantic rock fists.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:11 pm

I'm pretty proud of this one.  It's pretty messy, but that's mostly intentional; the only thing that I really want to improve is the spin at the top.  I feel that I should have the legs visible, but I can't picture how it would look. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 11:33:05 pm
I'd say the same sort of pinwheel as her hair does, personally. Like she's doing a midair-splits helicopter kick!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 07:16:27 pm

I also decided to swap the throw arm, as it occurred to me that she might as well use the momentum of the swing.  It involved removing a frame of lead up, as well.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:13 am

Wow, this turned out really close to what I had in mind.  The long arms are very intentional, but the whole thing was supposed to be very snappy and loose. 

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 05:19:06 am

I also decided to swap the throw arm, as it occurred to me that she might as well use the momentum of the swing.  It involved removing a frame of lead up, as well.

Doing this on my phone, but there needs to be some kind of anticipation before the throw. It starts too high, and even with the momentum of the spin in the air, the angle of the throw doesn't follow any visible arc to carry the momentum forward into the throw angle.

I'm really glad to see you still doing these. :D It's always really fun to see how crazy one can get with physics and still be somewhat convincing. :)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 08:15:09 am

Doing this on my phone, but there needs to be some kind of anticipation before the throw. It starts too high, and even with the momentum of the spin in the air, the angle of the throw doesn't follow any visible arc to carry the momentum forward into the throw angle.

I'm really glad to see you still doing these. :D It's always really fun to see how crazy one can get with physics and still be somewhat convincing. :)

Thanks!

I toyed with the arm a bit and made the throw arc/roll rather than just a straight line. 

I also managed to whip this up in a few hours.  Not nearly as much going on, but I did what I wanted to do with it.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 02:56:57 pm
That's definitely an improvement in adding some interest to the motion, but the arc seems to be a bit too straight at the beginning (coming from the straight throw). It might be worth it to give some sort of a hint as to *what* she is actually throwing (i.e. a spear, a ball of energy, or what?) to get a better idea of its weight and trajectory (and thus be able to give us a better idea of what we're seeing too and why its trail seems to be wobbling at the end or why the arc suddenly jerks so quickly back to the spot where she falls).

Also, I won't say that the fall is too fast (but there is no clearly-visible anticipation before the heavy fall), however I will say that there needs to be some delay before the rainbow energy shoots up to make up for that lack of anticipation (and to make the rainbows look like they've got *some* sort of impact -- assuming this is an attack of course.) To help with this "impact" or give a sense of danger, you could apply some variation in the lengths or angles of the rainbows coming from the ground. If they're all supposed to be equally dangerous, then you might want to make them all end up at the same height (but maybe vary their widths).

Regarding the shadow/snake guy, it's hard to follow what's happening with the (our) right hand as it's turning so it's throwing off the impression that she's turning around. Perhaps have the dark glove lag behind a little bit when the snake is behind her head and see if this helps the impression of her turning. You could also have the dark glove cross in front of the shirt too and poke out of the silhouette a bit to help with the impression. Either way could work.

Hope this helps!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 08:04:17 am

Rainbow Lady:
Added more of an object to her hand before she throws.  It's supposed to just be magic, so it's just an orb.  I also played with the trail so it has more of a path, and made the wavelengthy bars more like a sound wave, as it's supposed to be music themed.

Arm Lady:
Messed with the right arm's position, so hopefully it looks a bit more like she's turning.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 01:04:33 am
I'm noticing you draw people with the same proportions a lot. You should try some of these with more out-there designs, like beefy folks or big fat ones. Try to train yourself out of always drawing lanky anime people!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 06:58:06 am
I'm noticing you draw people with the same proportions a lot. You should try some of these with more out-there designs, like beefy folks or big fat ones. Try to train yourself out of always drawing lanky anime people!

but i like muh animesss

Yeah, it has been a while since I animated something other than a regular normal-sized human.  Going to this reminded me that I'm out of practice for sure; for one, the design is lifted heavily from the golems from Indivisible, and the animation is just a punched up version of the attack's concept art from the game.  I've been wanting to make a golem animation for a while, but nothing was clicking, so I ended up copying a lot. http://indivisible.wikia.com/wiki/Golem

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 04:57:44 am

Went ahead and rethought the whole thing out.  I went back and grabbed a really old sprite I did of a fat monster character (It's actually recycled from the metallic shading topic in the banner!) and worked it into this.  In addition to being actually original, I did a lot more of what I wanted to illustrate; it actually looks and moves like something made of clay as opposed to just a stubby human, and utilizes the rubbery look I want it too.  The idea is that it hits the ground, sucks up some rocks, and then tosses them ahead of it, which is a lot better than recycling stuff from a game.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #43 on: August 31, 2018, 03:53:44 pm

Rainbow Lady:
Added more of an object to her hand before she throws.  It's supposed to just be magic, so it's just an orb.  I also played with the trail so it has more of a path, and made the wavelengthy bars more like a sound wave, as it's supposed to be music themed.

Arm Lady:
Messed with the right arm's position, so hopefully it looks a bit more like she's turning.

Rainbow Lady: Definitely looks a LOT better and has a more genuine sense of energy (and consistency) about it now. Great job!
Arm Lady: MUCH more "punch" to the animation now. The movement on this looks top notch. :)

The whipping "blob" monster: Might want to give more of an "absorbing" sense about it because it definitely doesn't seem that readable. You could make the "blob" on the hand go up through the arm (as if it were a heavy blob of stuff) and into the shoulder and then emphasize the recoil by making it "bounce back" into the body's center-mass to make its "absorption" read a lot better.

The punching "blob" monster: I'm not sure what you were going for with the black bar on the elbow, but it completely disappears in the punch. For it to be such a prominent pose in the animation, it definitely doesn't seem to have any real effect on the animation and doesn't seem to contribute any overall weight or energy to it either. Sorry I can't give a better critique than this, but it's pretty hard to tell what you were going for with this outside of a basic punch (which wouldn't look so bad if there was less build-up to the actual punch action) -- Ultimately the black bar on the elbow makes me anticipate, but then when it suddenly disappears, my mind is disappointed because I expected it to go do something more than just disappear. Rather than subvert my expectations, it would be better to simply not make it so prominent before the action (or actually do something with it that contributes momentum or energy to the whole animation -- assuming you had something particular in mind). Hopefully that makes sense.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 08:11:41 pm

I also added some more frames to the arm movement, as I felt it was kinda jerky. 

As for the arm thing, that was supposed to act as a pile bunker.  So, the golem positions its arm, "loads a shot," and punches, with the bar acting as a piston to (supposedly) give the punch more impact.  In retrospect, I could have vastly dramatized the burst of it firing off, but really, I'm not happy with the animation as a whole.  It's serviceable, but it's pretty much a trace job, and it seems I failed at the only thing that made it original.  I'm much happier with the new one, as it's not traced, and has a bit more thought going on in how a thing made of clay moves.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 05, 2018, 06:32:31 am

Thought I'd try making a mockup of a conversation.  It's kinda based on the later Fire Emblems, where the large portrait slides in and then they start talking.  Also gave me an opportunity to make larger, "Talk," sprites.  I'm more happy with blondie than with blue; it's mostly the head area on both of them.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #46 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:46 am
they don't read very well as talk Sprites, those tend to have a lot more emphasis on both pose and mouth movements. they're usually done from the torso up like in Phoenix right for that reason

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39:17 pm
they don't read very well as talk Sprites, those tend to have a lot more emphasis on both pose and mouth movements. they're usually done from the torso up like in Phoenix right for that reason

You know, it never occurred to me that talk sprites should probably have mouths... 
Eh, I still wanted to make bigger sprites as practice.  I got the idea because I made blue guy's shrug animation and didn't feel it was worth posting by itself because it was so simple.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 08:31:08 pm

You know, it never occurred to me that talk sprites should probably have mouths... 
Eh, I still wanted to make bigger sprites as practice.  I got the idea because I made blue guy's shrug animation and didn't feel it was worth posting by itself because it was so simple.

I like the concept though.

The larger (no face) portraits keep the 'mystery' air about the characters, and it could be an interesting style if the pose of the portrait was the thing that did the "talking" and that pose changed (via action lines and whatnot) as the mood changes in the conversation.

Obviously with this approach the "mirroring" of the sprite to match the portrait actually looks "wrong", but the worst offender is that when you show such a nicely-detailed sprite that matches the in-game sprite, you unintentionally make the viewer subconsciously wish that the smaller sprite would be as detailed -- and thus break the overall style of your flat-shaded chars! ( -- very bad btw!)

Regardless, this is a good take on trying something new -- and it allllmost works.

As for your blue dude animation (since we're in the animation forum), it really didn't look like a "shrug" to me. More like a "Come on! I'm open! Try to hit me!" gesture.

Also, for the bigger blue dude, the main thing I see is that the (nearest to us) knee is kind of janky. It doesn't look like there's enough room for his calves to fit to his (particularly chunky) ankle as it flows down to his (seemingly tiny compared to the other) foot.

Outside of these things, the shading looks a bit "off" on the blond girl (there doesn't seem to be any distinct light source, and the lighting shown so far is a bit too heavy to not be from something direct (especially on the nearest-to-us leg). This is clearly not ambient lighting, but that is mostly because the highlight color is so close to the middle color (and doesn't seem to have much sky lighting in its color -- it probably needs to be hue-shifted to the environment's ambient light color a bit). The blue dude's colors seem to be a lot more well-chosen though, so props there.

One other tip -- please remember on the back leg of the "Capcom" style shading, don't be afraid to push it to the darkest color sooner. Usually they reserve 5 color entries (instead of just 3) for areas that have lots of surface-area volumes to cover (such as a legs) -- so an additional darker "red" color entry could help you define the volume better there (rather than making such a stark transition to the black outline.)

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 09:41:03 pm
you know, Astral does have a point! Not enough people let emotive POSES do the talking, rather than the mouths! Might be worth exploring this more as a concept!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 06:01:40 am

Touched up the first two and added a new one.  Not sure on the shirt/body type.  He's supposed to be a bit more muscular, but I'm not sure how much of that would be visible through the shirt.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:59 pm
He doesn't look muscular at all, just due to the shape of the body - the arms are very thin and uniform in width, and the torso is very thin and flat, there's no sense that there's any muscle there. Consider drawing the body naked first, then put the clothes over it. The clothes will smooth over the details, but they won't reduce the size of the body.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:09 pm

You typically don't retain the same silhouette when becoming (what is generally seen as) more muscular. Broader shoulders > Wider chest > More visible lats etc.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:19 pm

You typically don't retain the same silhouette when becoming (what is generally seen as) more muscular. Broader shoulders > Wider chest > More visible lats etc.

Was heading that direction and was about to post right a new version before I saw this.  Thanks, DesignDoll.  :p

Beefed up, but lowered the exaggeration a bit.  Chest is broader, harshened the shading, and beefed up the legs. 
I can help but feel the wrist area looks too small compared to the rest of the arm...  I tried a few things, but it didn't do anywhere.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 11:58:37 pm

Managed to throw this together in about two hours.  Only thing I'm iffy on is how the ball bounces at the end.  I want it to plink off like a billiard ball hitting an edge, but I don't think I quite got it right.  I'm really satisfied with the motion and the coat falling down slowly. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #55 on: September 27, 2018, 09:52:43 am
feels like smoke because the trail is too thick after the bounce and it sticks around too long after

try dropping a frame

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #56 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:59 pm

Managed to throw this together in about two hours.  Only thing I'm iffy on is how the ball bounces at the end.  I want it to plink off like a billiard ball hitting an edge, but I don't think I quite got it right.  I'm really satisfied with the motion and the coat falling down slowly.

It's SASUKE!! D: D:

Lol -- jk :)

In seriousness though -- for the "plink" billard-ball thing, try shifting the ball in the *opposite* direction slowly first, rather than toward the direction it will be headed to "plink" off the ground.

Also, the ball "blur" should overlap the visible ball a bit more before it "stretches" to the ground (and maybe make that "stretch"/"blur" touch the ground in a single frame before the "bounce" frame to show hit has the kind of "hard-metal-ball-hitting-hard-metal-floor" that it looks like you're going for.

The green "string" you've got going on there should probably appear after the "bounce" (if he's putting it back into his pocket) and should act like a "sling" that released the metal ball and "pops back" a moment (to show the "release" of force) and create some recoil in the "visually-important" part your animation (that is, the act of the ball being released at a supercharged rate of speed into a bounce.) A "floppy" frame or two for the green string isn't a bad idea, as the bouncing of the ball could (and should) likely be happening in 2 frames anyway (which includes the initial release of force following the initial stretch of the green string.)

Again -- after the "plink" bounce, the "plink" blur should be NO MORE than 1 (2 frames MAX) if you want to keep the speed looking consistent (and fast). That third "small" blur frame just acts as a "slowdown" frame, which I really doubt you want.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:49 pm

It's SASUKE!! D: D:

Lol -- jk :)

I want to point out that I have uploaded an animation of this character before :p

The string is magic, but I did realize it just disappears once the ball hit the ground.  I made it get sort of overdrawn and pull back towards the hand once the ball releases.  I still feel like the ball needs one more frame after it hits the ground, but I couldn't come up with anything that looked right or didn't make it seem slower.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #58 on: September 29, 2018, 06:21:01 am

some timing changes and a bunch of changes to the elastic band/bounce to add impact and a bit of elasticity to the string.

Notably, I deleted a couple frames and made the motion blur thinner/shorter.

I also gave the ball a bit of a mid-air bounce for when the string attaches and starts to pull on it, not terribly realistic but adds a bit of a better "beat" to it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: September 29, 2018, 07:25:29 pm

I like the thinner blur and the ball impact, but I have to disagree on removing the frames where the ball is catching up to the motion.  Cutting those eliminates the actual elasticity I was going for, and you also cut the impact frames that add the secondary motion in the pants and jacket.  I want the string to take a second to realize it's being pulled all the way, and then for it to catch up with the ball.  I feel like only having on frame hand slows it down and doesn't convey that it's being pulled/why bother with that frame at all.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #60 on: October 02, 2018, 05:47:07 pm
I want to point out that I have uploaded an animation of this character before :p

The string is magic, but I did realize it just disappears once the ball hit the ground.  I made it get sort of overdrawn and pull back towards the hand once the ball releases.  I still feel like the ball needs one more frame after it hits the ground, but I couldn't come up with anything that looked right or didn't make it seem slower.

Hehe -- I was only kidding! ^__^
The "Imabadass" pose just made him feel so much like Sasuke (to me) with his "I'm too cool to be bothered, but I guess I'll do it and maybe you'll shut up." attitude he clearly exudes prior to the animation. That's not a bad thing though -- just the impression I got. :)

Anyways, regarding the ball --

I think the problem is that it appears to be generating some kind of resistance to the "string" in your new animation before it is suddenly pulled, but that "resistance" just comes out of nowhere. Perhaps you could show the magic "string" attaching itself to the ball somehow (and possibly causing the initial anticipation before the "pull" -- the "resistance" to the pull being from the string "hitting" the ball to attach itself to it -- that you're looking for?)

Regarding the "attack" portion of it --

The "release" of the ball (where the string detaches itself from the ball -- and possibly slaps the ground after the ball takes off into the air) is a key moment to emphasize the impact and strength of the attack that will be flying toward the opponent.

That being said, changing the arc of motion to better match the energy exerted is a good option.

The resulting angle of bounce is too shallow for the direction the ball is flying (in order to maintain its momentum), which is why the ball looks like it is "slowing down" to the eye (even with a small number of frames).
If you want the ball to look convincing, have it hit the ground (from behind the arm) at a more obtuse (open) angle (*before* it bounces) than what it is right now. Currently, the "bounce" angle is too acute (closed/tight) to retain the feeling of a fast-traveling billiard ball.

The number of frames isn't the issue -- it's the angle of bounce and the speed you're trying to reach *after* the bounce that is at odds. Yeah, it works in anime that things seem to move at whatever magical speed the artist wants it to, but it only "works" because the artist keeps the magical movements as close to the action as science allows. It's just that the magical forces anime characters exude sometimes come from otherworldly sources -- and despite how it appears, these forces always stay grounded in physical rules and the angles and the quantities of force/energy used/exerted always remain consistent across the board.

"Magic" is not an exception.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: October 03, 2018, 01:05:57 am
Hehe -- I was only kidding! ^__^
The "Imabadass" pose just made him feel so much like Sasuke (to me) with his "I'm too cool to be bothered, but I guess I'll do it and maybe you'll shut up." attitude he clearly exudes prior to the animation. That's not a bad thing though -- just the impression I got. :)

He's definitely that sort of character type, so I'm glad that comes across at least.  :p

Made the ball fall without the sudden stop, though still made it need to catch up to the rubbery string being pulled.
Added the string before it goes taut.  Cheated a bit by making it show up with magic, but it hopefully gives a sense of loose to taut.
Changed the angle of the bounce to be more obtuse.  I also turned the impact green, so it co-opts the string as being partially behind the force.  The remains of the string also fade away between the hands, whereas before it sort of snapped into them.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #62 on: October 03, 2018, 09:47:18 pm
Changed the angle of the bounce to be more obtuse.  I also turned the impact green, so it co-opts the string as being partially behind the force.  The remains of the string also fade away between the hands, whereas before it sort of snapped into them.
The magic is a nice touch -- the whole action reads better imo thanks to the varied silhouette of the magic string appearing. It definitely adds to the "anticipation" or "tension" factor in terms of readability. Great call on this one. :)
I think the new angle is a little better, but it really needs to be a lot more obtuse before it hits.
To accomplish this better, you could try taking the ball's path and diverging it a little to (our) left as it is being pulled toward the ground by gravity.
The ricochet looks a lot better though -- it comes across as "superfast" now.

The only other thing is the initial "toss-up" before pulling it down -- this throws the first part of the animation off pretty badly.
The ball kind of looks like it's being pulled (very ineffectively) by one of those "sticky hand" toys (i.e. a thin, stretchy string that could break at any moment and can't even hope to hold the heavy weight of yanking a billard-ball at that speed/tension without snapping) -- This video shows a more effective "sticky hand" tension than your magic string seems to convey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOw0rQo6cPc

It's definitely coming along though -- and if you change nothing else, the angle it hits the ground must be even more obtuse (and must _feel_ natural, like it is legitimately being pulled by something. Spacing your frames is vital here -- and to truly "get this right", you'll absolutely need to hone and then utilize your sense for the natural weight and momentum of the "materials" you're simulating in this animation.

It's advanced stuff, but I really do think you're getting there! -- Keep it up! :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:51:52 pm by astraldata »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: October 06, 2018, 05:04:38 am

I decided to just make him toss it backwards a bit.  Makes the angle more obtuse, and allows the string to start dragging it back rather than just pull it in a direction.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #64 on: October 06, 2018, 01:30:16 pm
I realize this is a nebulous crit, but it looks weird to me that the projectile goes flying at a different angle than the one with which the ball (reads like a yoyo to me, tbh) hit the ground. A slightly lower angle would still look fine because of friction, but such a dramatically different angle makes the last part of the animation feel disconnected from the build-up.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:07 pm
I realize this is a nebulous crit, but it looks weird to me that the projectile goes flying at a different angle than the one with which the ball (reads like a yoyo to me, tbh) hit the ground. A slightly lower angle would still look fine because of friction, but such a dramatically different angle makes the last part of the animation feel disconnected from the build-up.

Edit:
Don't know what happened here, but basically the reply was, "A wizard did it," which isn't wrong. :p
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:45:43 pm by Rosier »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #66 on: October 22, 2018, 09:02:47 pm
Almost there!

What might help is if the string had a blur when it is pulled (nearer the arm and hand that pulls), essentially making it look "thicker" just before it pulls the ball down.

The main thing is that the sudden "tension" the cord/string needs doesn't read well enough right before the ball is pulled.

Just emphasize the "tension" right before the ball is pulled, and you'll have probably nailed the motion. The key here is anticipation and the buildup of energy. A quick frame of "thick" followed by a frame of "thin" can do that (but, in this case, the thick is near the hand/arm and the thin is near the ball) -- assuming that makes any sense.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: October 26, 2018, 01:50:10 am

And now to give him the chair. 

The last bit where he kicks and stomps is a bit rushed.  I couldn't really think of something I could pull off, and wound up with that after a few tries at a bicycle kick.  I just REALLY wanted to animate someone using a folding chair as a weapon.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 03:15:37 am

Character is supposed to be mock-saluting before they fall back and turn into a liquid with a small splash, followed by an uppercut.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 06:25:27 pm
have the goo move forward a bit into the uppercut rather than trying to hinge it around the same foot location i think

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 03:06:02 am

Also figured out a decent ender to the chair.  Not quite as grand, but it turned out cleaner than the sweep kick thing.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #71 on: November 05, 2018, 07:22:11 am
I feel like the chair animation doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Throwing it sure, but why run forward and lean on it a bit?

why not ride the chair forward? don't quite get it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:49 am
I feel like the chair animation doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Throwing it sure, but why run forward and lean on it a bit?

why not ride the chair forward? don't quite get it.

He's using it as a projectile, then jumping to it and using it as a platform to jump off of for air moves.  It's dumb cool anime physics nonsense for the sake of doing something hype and showy. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #73 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:25 am
ohhhh, it's an air combo opener. That makes sense!