AuthorTopic: This is my first sprite, what i should improve?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline victornecromancer

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile

This is my first sprite, what i should improve?

on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:09 pm

So... the title says all, i make this curved sword based on some other that i have drawned on paper, what i should improve? I know this dithering looks strange, but i could never understand this technique in a clear way :P
(Sorry for bad english)

Link if the image not appears: https://image.ibb.co/fdMDHv/Alaskado1.png
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:45:59 pm by victornecromancer »

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

Re: This is my first sprite, what i should improve?

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:47:59 am
Hi! For a first sprite, this is looking pretty good. I think you did a great job on the hilt! You're right, though, that the shading on the sword looks a little weird. On a sprite this small, dithering is hardly needed at all. You should try going over the shading,but without using dithering. It'll make your sword look less grainy or noisy. Also, dithering is usually used to portray a soft or curved surface, which I'm guessing a sword shouldn't have. The way you shaded it makes it look kind of cylindrical.

On another note, the outline is a little jagged at some places. This might have been from you trying to make the shape as similar to the original you drew on paper, but you have to adjust it a bit to the limitations of pixel art. It's not really clear what form you were going for, but here's an edit I made with adjusted lines and flatter shading.

I hope this helps!

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:21:59 pm
Hi! For a first sprite, this is looking pretty good. I think you did a great job on the hilt! You're right, though, that the shading on the sword looks a little weird. On a sprite this small, dithering is hardly needed at all. You should try going over the shading,but without using dithering. It'll make your sword look less grainy or noisy. Also, dithering is usually used to portray a soft or curved surface, which I'm guessing a sword shouldn't have. The way you shaded it makes it look kind of cylindrical.

On another note, the outline is a little jagged at some places. This might have been from you trying to make the shape as similar to the original you drew on paper, but you have to adjust it a bit to the limitations of pixel art. It's not really clear what form you were going for, but here's an edit I made with adjusted lines and flatter shading.

I hope this helps!

Hello, thank you for all the tips! I decreased the width of the blade to look more "bladed" and i decreased the shadow to match to the width too. I read some tutorials of jaggies and i tried to decrease maximum possible hahah :v What you think about the result?

Again, thanks for the help and sorry for english!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:21:23 pm by victornecromancer »

Offline 7Soul

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:46:04 am
I made this edit... but I don't know what to say :P

Ah! Look up references. See how other people make their sword icons. The main 2 changes I made to your sprite was to make all the lines smooth and to consider shape and material when creating light and color. Check out the pixel joint noobtorials for more detailed explanations

Cheers

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:45:08 pm
I made this edit... but I don't know what to say :P

Ah! Look up references. See how other people make their sword icons. The main 2 changes I made to your sprite was to make all the lines smooth and to consider shape and material when creating light and color. Check out the pixel joint noobtorials for more detailed explanations

Cheers

Thanks for the tips! My biggest problem actualy is to choose colors and make those things called "color ramps" (i don't understand how that works) but i use this site: http://www.pixelfor.me/crc/F0000032 and is being of great help :v I will look that Pixeljoint Forum, looks good!

Meanwhile i did this other sprite heheh