AuthorTopic: Washed Up character art  (Read 2681 times)

Offline ArzNova

• View Profile

Washed Up character art

on: July 25, 2017, 03:23:51 am
So I'm making a game called Washed Up, which is a water-physics based 2D game about sailing the seas, dodging hazards, fighting monsters, and searching for treasure.

The setting of the game is some sort of post-post-apocalyptic setting where apes, monkeys, and one canary are intelligent and rule in a pseudo-18th century world. There are some touches of rough steam-punk style tech mixed in.

So I decided to paint the cast of characters I was writing about, and I thought I'd get feedback on style and design. I've been doing pixel art for a while, but only just recently got my first gig. So I'm using what I've learned over time and what I'm learning from that gig to create the best art I can for this project.

So the style I paint in is kind of inspired by minimalist pixel art (like Sword and Sworcery and others). So the rules I have for character design include things like limiting the eye size to one or two pixels, the feet go straight down with no foot sticking out (even on large characters). And other things like that.

Once again, I'm new to take pixel art seriously, so constructive feedback on anything is appreciated.

(PS, I know it recommends a gray background for posting images. But many of the color schemes are designed to pop out on blues / teals because of the naval setting. So aside from the naval officer, I keep the use of blue to a minimum.)

Offline hexcode

• I'm a Full-time Pixel Artist for hire!
    • @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Silipo's Portfolio

Re: Washed Up character art

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:43:26 am
I think they are really creative and cool, I can't fault it. Try some other poses/situations out to test your designs readability at different angles and forms.
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
I'm dedicating my life to become an amazing pixel artist.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:46:23 am
Cigar ape with the robot fist looks kind of deformed but other than that these look pretty good. Revisit him specifically to try and get his design less L-shaped
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ArzNova

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:11:11 pm
Cigar ape with the robot fist looks kind of deformed but other than that these look pretty good. Revisit him specifically to try and get his design less L-shaped

What do you mean by 'L-shaped'? I'm looking at it, but I don't really get what you mean.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:33:24 pm
His arm juts out too much. Think on what his spine needs to do to make that pose, looks painful to me!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline CupOhJoe

• @CupOhhJoe
    • http://cupohjoe
    • View Profile
    • Art Joe Art!

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:33:44 pm
I gotta agree with everyone else that these designs are really cool and fun!  But, MysteryMeat brings up a good point about the cigar ape's arm.  I think with the pose he has his arm would be closer to him, kind of like what the other characters have going on. 

But, if you were looking for the arm to have more weight.  You could adjust his pose and learn him forward more. 
cupohjoespixels.carbonmade.com