AuthorTopic: [WIP] mockup  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

[WIP] mockup

on: October 31, 2006, 06:13:21 am
I started this at school and it kinda turned into something bigger than I expected.
Currently im having trouble with the waterfall...obviously.  Anyone mind helping?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 06:15:10 am by Joseph »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] mockup

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:55:55 pm

K, I didn't go too big on the detail of the rocks but as you can see, right at the top and on the sides, I added a depth level so it looks the waterfalls build it. The tree was good, just brightened the leaves. On the grass, I added some hues  and kindof ruined it.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:22:28 pm
heh thanks for ruining it (just kidding) but yeah, I like your edit quite a bit with the rock idea, however I dont think it'll look right just having a rock wall there, but ill figure something out, thanks again.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:36:13 am
I don't like what you've done with the edit, Vic. You've given the waterfall so much depth that it's lost its watery texture. The waterfall is BG, so it shouldn't try to be afocal point for the viewer. As well, water conforms to the shape around it. Ther'd be splattering because it's going off a cliff, but the water should not have much depth or shape to it. this is ideal for it to be a part of the BG. Your grass has much less grassy texture than the original, and the way you've changed the shades loses a lot of info. The send and-third darkest shades are pretty much wasted b/c they're so similar and hte last is so dark it feel completely spearate from the rest of the grass. This is why it's lost so much information in your edit.

Joe, if you ever get stuck, the best thing to do, the first thing that you should want to do, is google(specifically the image search). Google for a waterfall, and try looking for VG examples of waterfalls(there is one in almsot every single game, and probably every RPG). Look at references and try to find he key details and put them into your mockup.

While you're searching for your waterfall, do a google for palm trees. Your leaves on your tree have weirdly placed beginnings and look unnatural.

I recommend applying hue-shift to your colours. By this I mean shift the hue of each sahde clsoer to purple, and each highlight closer to yellow. Monohue shades, while can be pulled off, are usually boring.

I'd like to see some little 1-2 pixel of grass added to give some texture and variation on the ground.

Good luck with this, Joe

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:34:46 am
I have searched for images on both of these, and they didnt help me much, mainly because Ive seen them both in real life.  I see what you're talking about, its just that both of these (waterfall and tree) are my first tries so im still getting used to it.  with the leaves, I see what you mean and ill try and fix it, however I may leave it to give it some diversity...showing that its a fantasy world.  im new at hue shifting but I should be able to figure it out, maybe...ive already changed the palette, so we'll see after I post it.  I dont understand what you mean on your last sentence.  1-2 pixel?  meaning stretching it horizontally?  because I cant, its based on a 16x16 tileset.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:50:58 pm
I meant, if you could, add some blades of grass along hte top.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 11:22:03 pm
Oh ive already done so.  I just have yet to update this topic.  Once ive finished with a base background ill post it.