AuthorTopic: Graphics Gale Onion Skin REFUSES to work  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Graphics Gale Onion Skin REFUSES to work

on: June 30, 2017, 07:00:36 pm
Hey folks

Once, perhaps twice I used the onion skin feature in graphics gale, a while ago.
Now.. its simply never works, dose nothing at all.
I have no idea what the hell is going on here.

I have googled and googled looking for the issues, found some semi-related posts but nothing with solutions to this.

Dose anyone have issues with gale and its onion skin feature?

No matter what I do,  it NEVER works.. dose not even try.

For example i have a blank canvas

I make 3 frames, I put one black pixel down, then go to the next frame .. where is the previous faded frame? I have tried setting the useless tool to forward, back, forward and back... still dose nothing.

I have tried creating 2 layers, one for the black dot, then creating 3 frames... on frame 1 i stamp down one black pixel on its own layer, next frame., nothing.. what is the point of this tool? how dose it work? Yes I have read the docs. It simple says the obvious, which im doing, but its not working.. never works

So i try set up elaborate layers including alpha chans..  make a bunch of frames, try to make a modification on first frame, any modification.... i click next frame... nothing..

I have re-installed this 3 times
I have re-downloaded it from the site 2 times.
Re-booted my pc
Scanned for virus..etc etc etc

Nothing makes this onion skin work... and what really frustrates me I HAVE used this before only 2 months or so back...  it worked fine, did as you would expect,, only used it a couple of times.

And now that I really need it fails, not just fails, but is non-existent

Dose anyone know what is with this tool?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Graphics Gale Onion Skin REFUSES to work

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:26:42 pm
Yo man, I have the answer for you but not the time to type it up nice with images properly.

Onion skin in GG def seems weird at first and can be confusing.
Once you know what it wants its all good tho.

For the most basic use:

+ go to Frame Properties of any frame

+ drop down the menu that says Current Frame

+ select the All Frames option

+ Onion Skin in GG requires the frames you want to skin to have Frame Transparency active

+ you will only be able to see the onion skin thru the set Transparent Color

+ look at the checkbox next to Transparency

+ the checkmark will be GRAY because selecting All Frames assumes a neutral setting --> no change

+ click the GRAY checkmark so that it becomes a BLACK checkmark --> this means you have turned on Transparency for all frames

+ when you turn on Transparency from an off or neutral state it will set the Transparency Color based on the color of the pixel in the top left of your canvas --> most likely your background color which is what you want, but if you have some other pixels in the top left it will fuck you over so be careful

+ if GG does not auto select the correct color you want to see thru you need to do it manually by clicking the color block or eyedropper below

+ click OK

+ now turn on Onion Skin by clicking the little green dood button

+ the drop down arrow next to it will let you set Next Frame, Back Frame, or Both

+ you can only view -1 +1 frame in GG, unlike Flash where you can choose a range, or other software that lets you set specific frames to view, its limited but thats what you get deal with it

+ if the Opacity of the Onion Skin is not to your liking you can adjust it in File --> Preferences --> View tab --> Onion Skin --> Opacity slider

+ also I recommend you turn on Loop the First and the Last checkbox --> this will show the first frame as onion skin if you have the last frame selected --> wraps the animation

+ on that note I also recommend you go to the Frame tab and also turn on Loop First and Last --> will make it so if you have the last frame selected and you press Next Frame you will go to the first frame and vice versa --> scrubbing frames loops

And there you go, that's the big messy answer.
So I don't have time to type it out cleanly.
If you still cant get it, pm me when you're around and I can show you on stream how to do it.
 :y:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:25 pm
your getting a "+" after your name in the credits..

But!..  this aught to be made much clear in the docs.. Ok in hindsight what the doc says dose make sense, and I have got it to work, however I am a bit confused as to the difference in setting layer property transparency (copying this layer/set of layers across frames) and frame transparency on the frame property itself

What I usually do is when I am working with an animation, I tend to always have it on a transparent background via "layer properties), then copy frames, and all those frames are set to transparent background.

Still quite confuzzled, there are 2 types of transparency that seem totally independent of each other.

Like when i create an image, go to layer properties, check transparency,  .. then bring up frames windows, check frames property its now un-ticked?

If this is too tricky to explain it really dose not matter, At least i got it working

thanks again PixelPiledriver

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:28 pm
you know what? heh.. well perhaps i was a bit too quick in my last post to say i got this working, I did, for some reason get it working , but now its not working
I will have to make a video , because I just don't understand this at all, even with your detailed steps.

It may be some time for the video

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:46:20 pm
Frame transparency is the transparency the file uses. Layer transparency is used purely for image editing purposes (transparency on layer, leftover color on cut out, non-overlapping color). All you have to do for onion skin is to make sure the frame transparency is set and make sure the color you set it too is the BG color of the base layer on that frame (and all the other layers BG are not overlapping the base).

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:48 pm
Um, I have exported many many images out of gale with out even so much as looking/modifying anything in the "frame" properties..

I don't seem to have trouble exporting any amount of alpha just by setting each layer properties . 

Surely you mean the other way around yammon17?

A tad confusing all this.. anyway here is the video, if anyone can tell me what on earth I am doing wrong it would be great

No matter if this works or not, i still believe this is a terrible implementation of a feature that aught to be straight forward. I mean I have used softwares in the past with onion skins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFOa2Hn3U0&feature=youtu.be

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:29:58 pm
White is your transparent colour. Onion skin shows opaque through transparent, not transparent through opaque.

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:53 pm
Heya surt

well.. um.. if you are referring to the cross i painted to test the onionskin you can clearly see I did not use pure white, i used an off white well away from 255 255 255.

If you are not referring to the cross, then call me dumb as I still don't get this.

So what your saying is in order for graphics gale to use the onion skin i cant have any transparent background on the animation at all? but what if my animation needed to be on a transparent background for exporting?

I think i have given up with this to be honest, the context of this is a project with a dead line this weekend and I have wasted in excess of 4 hours just battling with this onion skin bullshit ....so i think gale and myself have burnt our bridges with respect using it as a solution for animating anything beyond extremely basic stuff.

This is a woeful, truly woeful implementation of a feature. My dog could implement this better.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:07:43 pm
The transparent onion skin image shows up beneath the opaque image on the current frame. If you had moved the black box on the second frame you would have seen the previous. If you wanted to see the white cross you should have made the black your transparent colour.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:28:05 pm
well.. um.. if you are referring to the cross i painted to test the onionskin you can clearly see I did not use pure white, i used an off white well away from 255 255 255.

If you are not referring to the cross, then call me dumb as I still don't get this.
If the cross isn't transparent then where do you expect to see through to the other frames? Everything else is identical.