AuthorTopic: Doom Monster - Upd  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Doom Monster - Upd

on: October 31, 2006, 05:07:05 am

A Doom style monster. Done fo' chillin' an' relaxin. Maybe add some coloring at a later date.

Edit:

Update:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:55:54 am by Turbo »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Doom Monster

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 05:39:31 am
Quite detailed, I like it. The lighting is rather interesting. Consider darken the shadows more and strengthen the highlights on the gun. Working in grayscale is so fun, no colors to confuse what your doing >_<.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:11:51 am
nicely done.
do you do most of your work in greyscale?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:27:08 am
 Awesome. More contrast on doom sprites would do well. The breasts should have plenty of more detail. It's got a big area where there's no detail putted in. Varying some color will help make it look less dull Doing that, stick to greyish colors.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:35:00 am by Andy Tran »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:40:18 am
I'd like to see some lighter highlights added to the cylinder part of the chaingun. It's taking a couple seconds to register that it's a gun and not a chainsaw(even after seeing it and coming back to it a second time), and I think by having some white highlight, the gun part will grab your attention first. The ammo clip could use a little AA.

I like how 3d this looks. I was almsot about ot accuse you of using some 3d software.

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 06:23:51 am
Agreed, at 100% it looks like a chainsaw (or two) but upon enlarging it looks more like a minigun, perhaps highlighting the upper edge a bit more, but still keep it dark enough to allow the distinction from body and gun, or make it mor continuous for each barrel instead of having the darker line from barrel to tip.

Keep the chest as it is, smooth looks good on it, very clean look, yet still Doom-esqe (sp?)

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:13:09 pm
I'm somewhat cautious when playing with contrast, i raise it a bit and it already looks too much. This may be a result of looking a lot at the piece at 2x zoom, because it tends to look better with lesser contrast, while at 1x it needs much more than would look good at 2x.

Also, (as i remember) the Doom sprites tended to have low contrast due to being referenced from real clay models, which adds a general low contrast tone. And, you'd rarely see the sprites on the game at 1x, they would get closer and get bigger, zoomed up (and all pixelly 'n shi').

Here are some constrast edits.

On the left i further pushed the values on the gun: i hadn't noticed the chainsaw effect until after you mentioned it. Then i couldn't see the gun anymore :) Also increased contrast between the highlights and the darkest tones.

On the rigth, just a quick filter contrast edit. It looks too much for me and looses detail, but perhaps it is easily readable. Yuo decide!

Snippa: i'm in my confort zone with greyscale. I've started a few pieces in grey that i thought would be easier to do if the general values were defined first and then have the color added (haven't gotten around to add the color yet though, so can't attest to that theory yet). But apparently i still have some contrast issues to deal with, before going into more complicated color issues :).

crab2selout:
"I like how 3d this looks. I was almsot about ot accuse you of using some 3d software."
Thanks, that's quite the complement!

Andy Tran: I couldn't come up with anything to add to the chest, so i prefer to leave it like this, bare and shaved :)

Thanks for the comments and kind words guys  :y:

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:01:14 pm
nice effort!
The contrast is way understated, I think somewhere between your original and my edit might be decent enough (I went overboard on the edit)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 06:37:59 pm

For a game sprite, you don't have enough contrast between shades. What seven did in his middle piece isn't good... too much white, too much black, looks like superexposed picture with flash or something. You needed darker darks, significant middle ground and one shade of white. Also, you're not using all the shades you made to buffer between the darker stuff and the brighter. Guns are shiny. chest muscles collapse a bit where they meet arms. The underlight is a good idea, but not for game art. Is there always an ambient upwards lightsource in this doom-mod? Better have a simpler lighting setup than go for the shiny eye-candy in this case.

A lot more will become clearer when you attempt to color this. I like it so far. Also: your avatar scares me a lot.

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 07:04:17 pm
what Helm said and did. Sorry for the lazy/sloppy edit on my behalf. :P

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:47:45 am
  I kinda disagree with low contrast on doom sprites. Doom sprites are awesome, but they are well contrasted. Take note of the cyberdemon, he's very well contrasted. The light consistency is good, but make it more contrast. Don't have to take my advise for it, just play with what looks good.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:49:18 am by Andy Tran »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:23 am
'doom sprites are awesome'?
Ive always thought they were pretty awful (no offense turbo)
I mean, theyre photos of clay models, its like a poor mans pre-render
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 10:08:01 am
You are wrong TakaM, just a few of them were made from clay models and those that are were colored and refined afterwards so you can't really call them photos.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:44 pm
 Yep, the originals looked very pixeled to me. You can sense a pixel feel of it. I've been doing doom sprites for a long time now.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 02:47:18 pm

Mine (oldest one) - Helm - Sevenfinger - Doom sprite

Sevenfingers and Helm (nearly) got it :P- i hadn't looked at the doom sprites for reference yet, but i picked this one, grayscaled it, and noticed the contrast, specially on the dark areas, is much harsher than what i'd applied. I do think the highlights on your edits make the skin look metalic, specially on Helm's edit due to the high highlight/midtone contrast. The doom sprites have a dull-ish look to them, which is brought to life by the bright colors.

Comments/edits on the anatomy and weapon are quite valid, thanks.

On the "underlight" - i thought the sprites had an under/back-lighting, suggesting a light coming down from HELL ITSELF, not quite visible (or even realistic) but to put the enphasis on the supernatural of the creatures. After looking at reference sprites i realized i imagined the whole of it :) But goddamit IT STAYS. Because it's cool. No, it doesn't have to make sense, it's Doom fer cryin out loud. (But i see where your coming from, game lighting consistency-wise).

Also: Emma Watson

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Re: Doom Monster - Upd

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:44 am
Now with colors.

Updated the contrast and followed Helm's anatomy suggestions.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: Doom Monster - Upd

Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 02:10:54 am
The red from the second lightsource isn't on his foot, or other areas where one'd generally assume it'd be. Not even on the gun, the that having the most reflective material out of anything, you think you'd see it.