AuthorTopic: [CC] WIP Eye  (Read 2488 times)

Offline PixlInk_

• View Profile

[CC] WIP Eye

on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:25 pm

Trying out using less colors for shading and better anti-aliasing. What do you think I could do better?
Change our world one pixel at a time!

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: [CC] WIP Eye

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:42:04 pm
Hey man,

I'd ease up on the anti-aliasing. If you do too much, it starts to blur the line. Also, AA is best when you want to 'blend' between two colours, so the change isn't as abrupt.

Personally, I'd try to do a face, instead of just an eye. That way you can have the AA blend on the face and work on your skills of creating a 3D looking object.

Look at the pixel joint website for inspiration. Do some searches for faces, characters etc. You may find something you like. Look at what they did, how they achieved the look of it, and try to incorporate that into your works.

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:46:04 pm
Hi!

One of the problems I see here are that the lines are pretty rough in a few areas. That is, they look very jagged. At the lower left, it's most prominent. Try keeping the 2px tall blocks together, rather than separated by a few lone pixels at a time. You've also overdone the AA. Most of the time, a single pixel buffer should do, unless the segment is particularly long. You also likely only need 1 color for AA.

Now, about your colors. It's a little hard to tell them apart at 100% scale. I suggest using colors farther apart from each other for more contrast. On the other hand, the black outlines really stick out. You might want to use a dark, unsaturated color other than black.

Finally, the shading. I agree with Quake in that it would be better for you to study up on imagining your works in 3D. The shading looks a little flat, and not like the eye is a sphere-ish object.

All that said, trying as much as possible to maintain the style you were going for, I've made an edit applying some of my suggestions:

Good luck, and cheers ^^

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:20:42 pm

The pupil goes in the middle of the iris and eyes are spheres so shade them accordingly.
If you are not already doing it, I would highly recommend using a reference.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix